Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
We got burned at Willard today
Sun burned that is but the fishing was great, the best I have ever seen this time of the year. I'm sure it was all the warm weather we have had lately. The water temp was 46* when we arrived at 10:30am, it climbed to 48* before we left on the West side, the water temp was two degrees warmer on the East side, south of the North marina. We started by catching a nice 3 lb. 20 in. hen walleye, I sure wanted some eye fillets but she had not dropped her eggs, so back she went. It turned out to be the only eye we caught, we then started catching wipers. All wipers were near the same size some fatter than others but 19 to 20 inches was the standard today and 3 lbs. We saw BLM there today and he was doing good the last time we saw him. Hey BLM, did you catch any more after we last saw you?
Hey Wiperslayer, notice the difference between the picture I took of you and the ones you took of me, closer is better, ha,ha. It looked like there was some pre fishing going on today for a possible walleye tournament tomorrow, at least that was what it looked like. At least some of them were from Rocky Mountain Anglers and most were fishing the West dike. WH2
[signature]
Great pics WH2! I have been waiting for your report. So how many wipers did you catch? Hope I have the same luck tomorrow.
[signature]
Not to shabby . I want a eye too .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I wasn't a 50 day wiper fest but we did ok and yes, we boated a few more after running into you and Ira. We left at 2:00pm. I had a ticket to our company luxury suite so I went and watched the Jazz get whooped on.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](Edit) Here's a few pics of our outing.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font] [center][inline wiper1.jpg][/center] [center][/center] [center]BiteMe with a nice, fat wiper[/center] [center]

[/center]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font] [center][inline wiper2.jpg][/center] [center][/center] [center]Yours truly showing of off a fiesty little devil[/center] [center]

[/center] [center][/center] [center][inline wiper3.JPG][/center] [center][/center] [center]What we took home. Everyone had a couple to have a fresh wiper dinner![/center] [center]

[/center]
[signature]
wiperhunter2,,nice fish,looks like you did better than me and bigbuck.
I think we seen you on the west dike (not sure),we trolled the light pole area with all the other boats.Tried everything we had,plastics,worm harness,shallow and deep divers,fast,slow you get the Idea,,anyway nice job glad somebody got fish.
[signature]
I shore fish for the wiper. How close were they to the dike? How far up on the dike is the water?I usually fish the west dike.
[signature]
Pretty cool Rich. That guy in the bottom pic looks suspiciously like Woof. Looks like a good day though.
[signature]
We ended the day with 7 wipers and that one walleye. We left the fishing area around 3pm and went to the south marina to check out the water levels. We caught a wiper just before we left, so they were still biting but we had too much sun and no sunscreen. Now that the water is clear and it's been sunny for a while the catching should be good until the next low pressure system come in. The key was finding the right lure and speed. I hope you do good tomorrow.
[signature]
The water level is up to the rocks on the West side, there is still a little shore in the South west corner but the level is rising fast. If the water keeps coming up like it has been, it will be covers in a few weeks. We never got very close to the dike, we were catching all our fish several hundred yards from shore. Some of the walleye fishermen were catching eyes near the shore along the rocks on the West side. Good luck. WH2
[signature]
Looks like you guys whooped on the wipers,I was hoping to get out before I had to go to Texas.

Thanks for sharing them pics,the fish look like there healthy,looked to be a nice day on willard.

FNF[cool]
[signature]
Good to see you boys got some wipers.
BUT, shouldnt you throw them back like WH2 did so they can spawn?[Tongue]
Good for you WH2!

Actually the walleye are going LIKE MAD out there. At least they were today during hurricane annie.

Skeeter2 calls me up, says get out here to willard, wich I was already in the works of doing.

Anyways, I didnt get so much sunburned as I did wind burned.

Hopefully most guys are putting them eyes back like WH2 so they get thier chance to spawn.
[signature]
I wish I could of found a eye or wiper but only hooked a cat today . LOL Nice wind today too .
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Once I fill my freezer with stripers from Powell, those wipers might have a chance to survive! They sure are fun to catch![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]You ought to burn a little of that vacation time and come to Powell with us. Plenty of nice smallies to keep even the most discriminating bass fisherman happy![/size][/font]
[signature]
Randy,
I saw your picture on the Doug Miller show tonight. Was that the same Brown you posted here last week? Good looking fish.
[signature]
Thanks Curt , that is the same brown I landed from last month at lake X . I'm headed out for another pic of one this morning too .
[signature]
Sure would like to get into some Wipers. Still have yet to get that hybrid. Anyone going anytime soon? Would love to tag along and get schooled a bit on wipers. Wink
[signature]
I also got burned at the bay. This was my first time out this year, the weather has been soooo nice. I just had to give it a try so my son and i headed out. Got on the water about 3:30 fished till 5:30 and had a blast. No eyes but the wipers were hungry. I am also new to bft.
[signature]
Gene, thanks for the report and welcome to BFT.
[signature]
Welcome to the site Igotabite, what area were you fishing? We were out for the first time this year also and what a way to start the year off. All the wipers were nice and healthy so it looks like the predictions of doom and gloom were wrong. Do you fish Willard much? WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the welcome ///I was at the south marina, west side trolling back and forth. willard is my favorite because its close to home. I hope to fish a lot this year at willard.
[signature]