Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys Fork
Today was FANTASTIC I went to my honey hole with my dad below Chester Dam. I was excited because I got my drivers lisence yesterday and was happy to call it my trip. Anyway things started out great for me I hooked a large fish that pulled me upstream into my backing 6 times, the fish fought so hard it just sulked upstream but it was so heavy I couldn't do anything about it. I finally after abou 30 minutes brought it within sight, a huge fish (I couldn't tell what it was but it was giant.) As soon as he saw m he took of and snapped the 2x line I had tied to my pbr ( Pat Bennet Rubberlegs ) I had no time to mope because my dad needed my help netting a fish downstream. On the way down to my dad I spooked 3 pairs of spawner bows. My dad fought the big fish and brought the 21 inch beautifully colored bow to the net. Well wanting a fish of my own I headed back up to the area I fish. After hooking and losing a small whity I again hooked into a giant fish in the exact same place I had before. This time he sulked and dogged even more, taking me into my backing 8 times! I have never felt so powerless with a fish, I had a four wieght rod and 6x between my pbr which is a stoneflie and my size 18 prince nymph( he was hooked on th prince) I fought the fish forever before I got him to head downstream. I fell into the river twice chasing him, kinda reminded me of "A River runs through it" After fighting the fish for 45 minutes I knew I needed to make a move so I full blown sprinted got below him and attempted to scoop him up, NOT going to work, there was no way he was going to fit. I tried again and got his head into the net, WHEW! After letting out a few adrenaline powered hoops and hollers that could have been heard for miles, I ran up to my dad to show him the HUGE BROWN! Far bigger than anything I could ever dream of catching. I took a few pictures, revived him, gave him a kiss, and set him free. Best Fly Fishing trip EVER!!!!!!!!!!
Check out the pic, not bad for a fifteen year old eh?
[signature]
Duh! I forgot to say the fish that broke me of was this fish, he still had my stoneflie and prince in dis mouth, what are the chances of that!
[signature]
Way to go nice fish!!!![Smile]
[signature]
Hey Everet14,

Great story and great fish! Young man, you should be very proud of your success on the Henry's Fork. Very nice picture also.

I expected it to be a big Rainbow. Now a Brown Trout that is great news.

Would you consider posting this on my new message boards for fishing SouthEast Idaho also? The readers over there would enjoy your story and your success pictures. Here is a link:

[url "http://idahotrouttalk.mywowbb.com"]http://idahotrouttalk.mywowbb.com[/url]
[signature]
I keep forgeting to add this it was 26 inches long and wieghed 8 pounds. Tight Lines!
[signature]
Thanks for the report/story. It is truly remarkable. You are making me wish that I would have sent my Winston in for repair last month instead of today. I broke the tip off fishing the Teton last October. Now I am feeling stupid for not fixing it sooner. Oh Well I will be busy with wrestling for another month anyway.

Thanks
Windriver
[signature]
Hey I saw all you guys up at chester on Saturday. We were the guys in the work truck across the river. Wasnt sure how to get to the other side but we figured it out later. I am a spin fisherman mainly (we float the south fork from paliSades quite a bit and rapala for browns). I am just learning to fly fish and I came up there to try but there were too many of you(a little weak on casting still and a bit embarassed to try in front of you all). Not to ask for your secrets but can you help me a little with what line and tippet to use there and a few tips on what fly's and size works there. Also you mentioned one fly behind another. Can you explain how that is tied on. Also does this place fish well all year or just now. Thanks for any help from a begginning fly guy.
[signature]
hey man thats what were here for to help each other out right? I use a 2x leader tied onto a Stoneflie nymph(very important you really need a good one. I like the Brown Rubberlegs.) And from now until April I use a basic beadhead nymph. Pheasent tail, Prince nymph(my personal favorite), Copper Johns, and just about any other beadhead nymph will do. Now for the two fly system, I tie a clinch knot to the hook shank not the eye and then simply tie the 4x leader to the beadhead I decide to use that day. The rainbow spawn is on but it is still a little early. The first week in April is when the spawn is in full swing. During the full spawn I use a small green/yellow egg pattern as my dropper, this is when the suckers are spawning as well and the bows feed heavily on them. You need a good strike indicator as well. I prefer the hard bodied and foam models over the yarn ones. I put my Indicator way up from the fly about 6-7 or maybe even eight feet, the general rule is to put it up 1 and one half times the water depth, but I was taught by Pat Bennet up at hyde outfitters to put it way up and I have caught many more fish than I did before. Well I hope this helps if you go up there be prepared for the average 19 inch bow thats up there decked out in spawning colors. Oh yeah when the spawn tails of usually mid may this area really slows down, there are still fish to be caught just not as big or as many. GOOD LUCK!
[signature]
My dad just read through this and corrected me on something he measured the fish when we were there and it was 25 inches not 26, I just had to correct myself.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the story and pic. My first real fly fishing trip was just below Chester Dam during the Green Drake hatch about 10 years ago. That is a beautiful stretch of the Henry's Fork full of whitefish as well as some nice trout. The picture doesn't make the brown look as big as he really is. I would have guessed that the brown was 22" and 4lbs but if you put him on a scale and measured him you would know better than just a guy on the internet seeing only a picture. You must be doing something right so keep it up.
[signature]
Here is a picture that shows his size a little better
[signature]
I am 6'4 and have huge hands so that probably takes away from its size visually
[signature]
That is absolutely awesome!

I was going to mess with ya and edit your pic to some little perchy or something but you deserve the right to display this monster.

Be proud young man, this type of a catch is few and far between. I am proud of you and you deserve it!! Congrats!!!!
[signature]
Thanks for the kind words I know how lucky I am to have tagged into this beast.
[signature]
Hey thanks for the helpful tips. I still have a few things I am not sure about(concrete guy for ya). You start with the stone nymph then with smaller line you tie a bead head nymph(one of the ones you explained) on to the hook of the stone, right. How far between flies(or how much line for the bead). And later on you replace the bead or the stone with the egg pattern? also are you using floating or sinking main line? (I have so much to learn) and is there a certain size or weight line I should be using(for the main line). What is the best way to tie the tippet to the line for a guy who doesnt know knots well. Maybe I should take a class. Thanks again
[signature]
I tie the Stone directly to the leader, Then take 18 inches of 4x and tie it with a clinch knot to the hook shank of the stone, then simply tie the leader to the beadhead. Later in the year April, replace the beadhead with the egg pattern. I was up there tonight and caught 8 whitefish 16-18 inches and one 17 inch bow, all were on the stone. I use a 5 weight floating line on my 4 weight rod. I would get a line designed for a weight above the rod you will be using ex 6 weight line 5 weight rod 7 weight line 6 weight rod and so forth. This just makes it easier to cast, especially for a beginner. Let me know if you need any more help.
[signature]
The second picture does the fish a little more justice. Congratulations again on a true trophy. Wish you the best of luck catching a bigger brown than that this year.
[signature]
Thats what I thought as well, good luck to you as well and hopefully we will all get some hogs this year. Good luck!
[signature]
we have a top notch fly fishing forum here, you may want to hit that board for a few tips. you cant hardly go wrong there.

Our mods on that board are the tops in the feild... Ok so I am bragging a little, but they have about all the answers to just about any question.

here is a quick link for you, give them a try

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?forum=132;"][#000000][size 1]Fly Fishing and Tying[/size][/#000000][/url]
[size 1]Fly Fishing and tying tips, techniques, and discussion. [/size]
[signature]
Hey Everet, I must have been sleeping and missed this post originally. That is one nice brown! Many people will go a life time and never ever even hook a fish like that one let alone land one. It is always fun to get a big fish, it does make you want to hoot and holler. Great report, thanks for sharing info.
[signature]