Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A report and a Question
Got the ole' fly rod out again today and fished the Ogden river above Pineview Res. The river is still in pretty good shape, just a bit off color.

The W was bad, so I had to nymph fish today. Caught about 10 brown trout, ranging from 12 to 18 inches. They really liked the San Juan Worm.

My question is this: have any of you ever fished on 17th street, west of the jail in Ogden? I drove by there and there is a diversion dam that forms two canals. Wondered if there might be some cats or something in there. This area is where the Weber and Ogden rivers come together. Unfornately, there were some no trepassing signs in the area.

While I'm at it, any good catfishing holes up here in the Ogden area or within a short drive? Don't get to Utah Lake as much now that I live in Ogden.
[signature]
I've done mighty good at times on Willard Bay. Almost any place you can cast out from the bank. My best day was over by the pig farm. You gotta go in like you're going to the south marina but keep going north when you get to the canal. You have to kind of search for it but there is a place where you can drive right close to the dike. I hiked about 1/2 mi. west on top of the dike & fished along there with crawlers about 4' under a bobber & caught heck out of them. That was 3 or 4 years ago though.

Another place I've seen some big channels caught is the canals up at the Bear River Bird Refuge. Never fished there but have been there with my brother looking at the birds & talked to fishermen. If I remember right they were using chicken livers.
[signature]