Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worms!! Why so many¿?
[font "Arial"][size 2]This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen when it comes to the fishing tackle world. Have you ever been into Bass Pro Shops or Cabelas or anywhere comparable and seen the incredible selection of different types of worms? I'm not talking about all plastics ie, tubes, craws, creatures, lizards, jerks and grubs, I mean just WORMS! I visited Bass Pro Shops in Dallas last week and there are 6 rows, 2 racks per row ( 12 racks total ) approx 25 feet long and 6 feet tall, of just worms. That's 300 hundred feet of worms, a football field long! 1800 square feet of worms, some houses aren't that big! My favorites? Culprit, Charlie's & Berkley Power worms, and a few others. I just don't understand why there are so many different types. Color is a whole different topic, but types and brands just blows me away. [/size][/font]

[font "Arial"][size 2]Here's my question - What type of worms do you prefer, why do you prefer them, and what is it about worm (A) that makes you like it better than worm (B) or © or (D) . . . [/size][/font]
[signature]
5" purple flat zipper worm for largemouth bass. Why? Who knows, the bass just love it. Tube's for smallies. Craw colors. The way I figure it, theres so many because we buy them. I have entire tackle boxes of stuff that i have bought and never put on a line.
[size 1][size 2][size 1]Hello TheBassGuide,[/size]

[size 1]I have been in that store (The Dallas Bass Pro) as well. I stopped in to get a hunting lic. (had a great time deer hunting in the great state of Texas and filled the freezer) a couple years ago. It is a truly amazing store!! A sportsmen's dream![/size]

[size 1]About worms, when it comes to selection I think my tackle box is full! I have bought so many worms that seem to do a better job of occupying my son when the bite is slow then catching fish. It probably has more to do with my lack of technique and experience fishing them then the worms themselves.[/size]

[size 1]The tried and true for me and the worm I caught my biggest bass and the most with is the plain Jane 6" plastic. Drop shotting on the bottom, no fancy tail or split tail just a plain looking worm. [/size]

[size 1]I guess I keep the others around and keep buying new ones for that one day I'm on the water and someone tells me "I'm catching'em on the triple two sided ribbed three headed purple, green and blue Tasmanian special", and I'll be able to say to myself "I've got some of those" and proceed to slaying the bass! It could happen? Right? I guess similar to the quote I heard on some movie "I don't ever want to be shot down from lack of shooting back" in this case "I don't ever want to be shut out from lack of throwing bait!"[/size]

[size 1]Great question, I'll look forward to others responses, also please feel free to throw in the techniques your using with your favorites so that I may pick up a tip or two to try out my ever growing collection of never opened packs of worms! Thanx![/size][/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
the only thing I catch with them rubber werms is a sore arm from casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting and casting
[signature]
I'm with dave. I have never caught anything on plastic worms. I have much better luck on the real thing[unsure]
[signature]
I have to agree, I've caught more bass accidently on the real thing, warm, wiggling worms, than on plastic worms. Also, a nice shiner under a float can work magic on a reluctant bass. I'm not a "dyed-in-the-wool" bass angler (I fish for anything that swims but trout hold a particular spot with my taste buds) so can't speak with authority when it comes to fishing techniques for bass. The few times I fished just for bass, I threw my shoulder out casting so much that it interferred with my beer drinking. Now that is a disaster. The Buswieser brewry in Ft. Collins, CO, almost had to shut down because their inventory overflowed the warehouse.
But fishing with worms does have its advantages, especially in the laugh dept when using those candy worms. There's a little spot east of Loveland, Co and just off I-25 that stocks bass for those so inclined to fish for that species. On one warm summer evening (it can get hot here), I was sitting in a self-forming fishing chair, rod in a holder and cold beer in hand. Next to me, about 25 ft, two young men (anyone under 50 is considered young to me) were actively tossing lures into the water. To their credit, they had their equally young brood with them, along with the little woman (or ball and chain, the old lady, etc). Of course the youngsters can't be quiet so I could enjoy the peaceful evening and were throwing rocks in the water to scare the geese. I always carry some sweet mouth stuffing for the occasions that I take my great-nieces fishing, those multi-colored candy worms (you can probably see where this is going). As the youngsters edged closer and closer to my properly staked-out claim, I took out a worm and twirled it between my fingers (that makes them appear to be squirming in my hand), made sure they were watching me then promptly bite it in two. Their shrieks were well worth it. Their high-pitched shrieks (on a decibel level with an air raid siren) brought their mothers who also watched me eat the rest of the worm. Of corse by this time they probably thought I was "Hannibal the Cannibal" in disguise and they put some distance between us. The water calmed, the geese calmed down and the fish started biting. Best investment I ever made in worms.
[signature]
he he he he

well john I can see that I aint got a snow ball's chance in hadies of winning against you in a grose out contest. he he

my little brother likes them worm too, only he likes to swallow them whole. he says they tickle on the way down.

but as for them rubber worms I see people other than me do well with them and do pull in sum nice bass too.

them things are or used to be just garnishment in my box. (sumthing to look at) I eventualy gave them all away to the kids who to my astonishment have caught bass befor my very eyes.

I can honestly say that I have done better with tree leaves than I have with them rubber worms.

they are pritty to look at though
[signature]
Dave,
I love the plastic worms! When ever I get out on a pier down in Port Aransas Texas I tos one of these grub worms on a hook and have a blast!
[image]image.basspro-shops.com/images/images2/58500/58687.jpg[/image]
I catch more fish with these little guys than I can with live or cut bait in the saltwater! They do great under the lights at night! I have had some slow days at the piers but when I stick one of thies guys on I have never failed to catch something!
I personaly like the lime green. The fish do too!
Haven't had much luck with them in freshwater but in the saltwater they realy perform for me![Smile]
[signature]
Hello Bassguide,
I buy and fish alot of different plastic baits. I'll fish a 4" watermellon or motor oil/ red flake during the morning bite in or around weeds. If I'm fishing a tube around rock piles or pier, I like to throw a 2 3/4" bass pro shop TENDER TUBE in an avocado color in sunny conditions, smoke/red flake in cloudy conditions, (GREAT for Smallies). In the late morning/ early afternoon I'll go to a 5 or 6" lizard or worm. Color will depend on water clarity, weather conditions, and time of year. What brand do I prefer? Renegade 4",Berkley power worms, Zoom 4" Lizards, Madman 3" crawtubes.
Here is something to try if you fish a drop-shot rig, ty on your favorite dropshot bait and use a creature bait as your weight if allowed to fish 2 baits on the same line in your state.
[signature]
Hello flashm64,

Thank you for the tips! I'll give them a try on my next bass outing.

What creature bait do you typically use as your wieght?
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Hello Angler,
I normally use a 1/4 oz Zorro jig head with an Arkies 3" Spider (looks like a yamomoto). Color depends on weather and water conditions. I have had bass following the jig when landing afish on the drop shot rig.

Good Fishing,
flashm64
[signature]
Hello Flasm64,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll give it a shot!

You raise another (actually 2) great question I would love some feedback on. I will go ahead and post them as new threads and would love some feedback from everyone.
[signature]

TheAngler BFT Moderator