Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windy, Blustery day at Strawberry
[center][size 1][Image: winner.gif][/size][/center]FB2 and I went to the berry Sat. we got there just before sun-up and headed to the docks to collect some minnows. It was cold and windy and there was about a 12 inch chop on the water. It stirred up the bottom so we could not see anything. FB2 said what the heck and tossed the bait casting net anyway. Ater 6 tosses he had collect 2 minnows and 1 chub and his hands were turning blue. He even had some polyurathaine gloves on but they turned out NOT to be water proff. That's what I get for buying a bargin basement closeout at K-Mart!

So off we went, we started So. of Haws point (fishing from shore) got there around 7:45 AM. I started the day with flies and casting bubble FB2 went with bait on the bottom. The wind was directly in our face and he could only cast about half as far as he usually does. Casting flies the wind only made a difference in the slack line. I tried every fly I have, reversed positions mixedd colors and patterns, even my old stand by (#2 black wolly bugger) got no action. FB2 had no better luck. The chop on the water was now a steady 18 inches and the wind kept right on blowing.

At this point FB2 went to a bubble on top and and has drifting his bait about 4 ft below (he was using shinners and a nightcrawlers). I choose to cast minnows w/a split shot on a 6 foot lead. I hooked up on the 1st cast. I landed a 3 pound cut who swolled the minnow clear down to his gullit! Because I forgot the net I didn't even try and land him instead as I got him to the bank I leaned down and cut the leader. Man was he a happy fish, just swam in circles in front of us for a bit then headed to the deep again. FB2 put his pole in the truck climbed in layed the seat back and took a nap. I picked up one more about the same sz only off the bottom, as I had changed set-ups so I could have something warm to drink and eat a sandwich. And sure as sh*t as soon as I had my hands and mouth full I was getting a bite. I let him go also and fished for another hour before we changed locations. No more bites no more fish. Just that cold blustery wind and thw water now splashing up over the bank and getting my feet all wet! We then went to the Horse Creek drainage area and hiked in. Man has that gotten to be a hike! Fished ther for about 2 hours with no luck I tried everything! Spoons.flies, raplas,castmasters, and yes even power bait. FB2 was now a popsicles so we hiked back to the truck and headed over by Renegade and I tried the ccove for a bit while FB2 warmed up. Not many boats on the water for a Sat. I guess the weather kept folks home. Had no luck there either so we headed over to Chaplain points and gave it a go there. Now FB2 was ........ well lets say disapointed in the days outing so far, cold wet, miserable comes to mind. So he syas why ya stopping here your not going to catch anything. I Smile and say we'll see. Now I am not casting into the wind, but it is blowing from my right. It is still to early to go back to the flies and I had been having absolutely no luck with lures of any kind. So I baited up marshmellow tipped nightcrawler on bottom hook(6 ft leader) and a shinner on the top hook (4 ft leader). It wasn't ten minutes and I had another 3 pounder on the minnow. The guy down from us had been there since morning and not even had a bite. So I offered him the fish and he gladly accepted. FB2 said that was lucky it couldn't happen again. Ten minutes later I have another one on it was about the same size maybe a bit fatter but not any longer. The old guy asked for that one also and I was glad to help him out. Soon after that he and his son pulled in their lines and headed home. I guess they had their dinner[sly] We fished until dark and then headed home. I totoaled 4 for the day and lost a few others. FB2 didn't even get a bite ....... but then it's hard to get one from inside the truck. All in All a very enjoyable day for me. A little slower than I would have liked, the weather could have been better I guess. But I had a great time out fishing, caught a few, missed a few, let a couple go, and watched the wild life at Strawberry doing their fall rituals. Now FB2 might have a different opinion of the day[blush]. BTW I am still looking for the perfect rod if there is such a thing. I am even considering building my own. Ahhh life is good!
[signature]
[size 5]Me and Skeeter were going to fish it but skeeter did not get his boat fixed and I was there trying to help my dad get a deer. We chased a 23" wide 4x4 but could not connect. I have never used minnows on strawberry before. With that wind I'm surprised you could even cast. I can't wait tell it freezes. I will try minnows this year.[/size]
[signature]
Hey ya know thats a good idea, I'll think I will give it a try also if I get up there. KKeep in mind though that jigging a minnow may or may not work when the ice is on.But I', sure going to try it at deer creek also.
[signature]
Hey Marty,

Congratulations on getting "The Post of the Week Again"! You must be having a hard time figuring out what to purchase with all of these gift certificates that you are winning!

Kent
[signature]