Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
outfitter 100 ?
I was at costco the other day and saw they had a pontoon boat for sale.
I've been looking for my first pontoon and was looking at the trout unlimited colorado which has been discussed some on this board. Well the one at costco was called the "outfitter 100" and looked similar to the colorado, 9', trolling motor mount, 20 pockets. ect... I was wondering if any of you inflatables experts had seen this toon yet and what you thought of it?
At about $120 less than the colorado it seems like a real deal... but I haven't had a chance to see a colorado up close and in person(just pics on the net) to make a real comparison.
I think I'll print off some of tube dudes collections of things to look for in a toon and take a closer look.
I'm a big guy at 6'6" and not a light weight by any means so I think any of the smaller rides are definately out of the question.
So has anyone seen this ride yet? What do you think? It definatly fits the budget at about $250.
The only info I can find about it on the net in on a couple of other boards and its not alot of info. There conclusion was it's a combination of the tu colorado float and frame with the madison seat and oars.

Any input appreciated
Big papafish
[signature]
Sams club at jorden landing has the colorado toon hanging up in the sporting goods area. If your not a member you can still go in and look.
I'm going to costco sunday I'll look at it and see if there the same and let you know. I know the colorado well, I own one.

The colorado at sams is going for $240

Rodger
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I tried looking up the Outfitter line on the Internet, and through Costco. Costco does not have it listed in their boats and water accessories lines and Outfitter is not to be found in a website.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I seem to recall that line being a private label made for tackle outlets as a price line. I do not know who the manufacturer is, but some of the smaller tube craft look suspiciously like Trout Unlimited models. I am attaching a pic of one of their craft that looks just like the Trout Unlimited Kennebec, but sells for about half price at Garts and other discount outlets. It was purchased by Hustler898 and he has been very happy with the quality and the ride.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, if you check out the quality (visible) and the construction of the Outfitters 100, and you feel that it will provide what you want...at the price they are asking, then go for it. As I tell a lot of new 'tooners, it is fine to spend low for the first craft and learn to use and appreciate the higher end refinements before you have to pay for them. In most cases you will be able to recover most or all of your original investment by selling it to some other newbie who wants a good price for a starter craft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As a fellow big guy, I am also concerned with the total size and flotation capacity of a potential craft. Actually, anything rated over 300 pounds can usually handle much more than that. Your real focus should be on the size and comfort of the seat, the quality of the oars and oarlocks, the adjustability of the foot rests (you will need more length than most), etc. One of the things I have come to really appreciate in my Outcast products is the PVC coating on the bottom of the air chambers. That can help keep your exterior intact if you are dragging your craft over parking lots and gravel to get launched or to bring it back to the vehicle.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know what you decide and if you need any assistance in getting it set up right.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ya I couldn't find anything on the net for it either. And nothing on costco's site. The only thing I could find was on another board.
It very well could be the same as the tu colorado just without the name. I was just hoping maybe some one with the tu model has seen this one and could give a comparison. Although costco has an incredible return policy and I should probably move fast before they sell out and I'm stuck on shore for another year. Besides for the hundred dollars less than the tu model I could also pick up the trolling motor costco has too.[cool]

I think I'll head down and take another look.

Bigpapafish
[signature]
Hey there TubeDude,

Are you familiar with JW Outfitters' Renegade. Could this be the pontoon boat in question? Many of these small companies, as you know, have a marketing firm with a completely different name. Somehow.... American Products or some such name kinda tickles the old gray cells.

I'm racking my brain and can't find the list of distributors of some of the really minor manufacturers of float tubes and pontoon boats. I think I posted the web address of a list of such creatures long, long ago. The list was on a big flyfishing site but was very obscure and difficult to find the lilnk. The list was called something like the blackbird or black something list. I believe the link actually had the black something LIST in it.

Darn it!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]JW Outfitters makes a lot of gear for fly fishing, like duffel bags, packs, etc., but not pontoons. The craft in question is from a different source.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Take your memory pills and see if you can jar something loose.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi there TubeDude,

How come I was able to read a product review of their Renegade pontoon model and stories of them being used in some bass fishing tournys then? Maybe old, old or brand new info ????

Just located the list I was talking about with the different makers and it is called Black's Directories:[url "http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/blacks/flyfishing/article/0,16551,6242%7CBoats_AMPERSAND_Floats:_Pontoon_Boats,00.html"]http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/blacks/flyfishing/article/0,16551,6242%7CBoats_AMPERSAND_Floats:_Pontoon_Boats,00.html[/url]

Still got a few gray cells left ! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the link. That is a good info site. Still not the craft we are looking for, however.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Never doubted your mental accuity...whatever the heck that means. I forgot.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I made it to costco and checked out the the outfitter 100 ( at least as much as I could with it hanging ten feet in the air ). It looks like a cheaper version of the tu-colorado, the 4 air valves are the same, the storage pockets are the same,the pontoon material and construction looks to be the same.
The two main differences I could see were the fixed seat and the seat was made of mesh webbing, also the the outfitter was rated at 375lbs, the coloroda is 400lbs.
The diSadvange of the fixed seat is you can't adjust the seat to compensate for the load you have on it, ( troling motor, battery,cooler, ect) you need to move the seat so you are level on the water.
I think the mesh seat is not comfortable for along time on the water. I like the hard padded seat better, like on the tu-colorado and most other toons.
The wieght rating is important. You need to consider what you are going to put on the toon besides your self. Battery and motor = approx 100 lbs.
If you get either one of those toons let me know and I can give you some tips on the motor mount and putting tape on the wear points on the bottem of the pontoons.

Rodger
[signature]
Hey tubeDude The company that makes the tu-colorado is Classic Accessories Inc. They make covers ,tubes and toons. They didn't show the outfitter 100, must be a special for costco. The outfitter 100 is just like the tu-colorado except for the seat and the weight rating. the web site is http://206.129.99.165/dept.asp?d_id=5913&l1=5913
( [url "http://www.classicaccessories.com"]WWW.classicaccessories.com[/url] )

Rodger
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks for the info. I edited your post and made the web address a link. I am also saving it in my personal file.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was looking at some of the pontoons in Sportsmans yesterday, and they also have their private label line, made by Outfitters. I am sure it is an "offshore" company that specializes in private label stuff for discount outlets. As such, they are not likely to maintain a retail website for individual purchases.[/#0000ff]
[signature]