Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard bay wipers 3/19/05
so we decided to try our luck out on willard yesterday. we started from the south marina and headed west trolling frenzeys. got to the light poll on the west dike and drifted worm harnesses about 15' out from the dike for an hour or so. then headed to the north marina looking for a few crappie. fished the docks for about an hour with no luck. headed back out trolling from the north marina all the way to the south. about half way, i had a good fish on for about 10 seconds, then whatever it was it broke my line right at the lure. i thought my knot had come untied, but under a close look it was a clean cut. he's still out there with a silver rat-l-trap stuck in his chops. we kept trolling till we got to the west dike (again). we made a run allong the dike slowly working shad raps real close to the rocks with no takers. bout this time it was coming up on sunset and we were ready to call it a day. thought we may as well troll our way in. jann kept her shad rap on and i switched over to a rat-l-trap. bout 300 yrds off the west dike jann got smashed. she boated the first fish of the day. a chunkey wiper. i flipped the boat around and trolled over the same spot. no sooner than she got her line out she got smashed again! another wiper. we ran through it one more time, but no luck. 10 minnutes of action over 8 hrs of fishin. i'm thankfull we boated anything concidering the cold weather lately. it felt great to just be out on willard again. i included a few pics of janns wipers.
laters
[signature]
They look like there in great shape,Thanks for sharing the pics.

FNF[cool]
[signature]
Good to hear you found a few . Last year I decorated a few with my lures . Hopefully that wont be the case this year . They sure are a blast to catch . Any idea how fast you might of been trolling in this cold weather ?
[signature]
What was the water temp? How deep were you when the wipers hit? What time did they start hitting in the late afternoon? Thanks for sharing those two wiper photos, they have really filled up in all the right places.
[signature]
those two chunks were caught about 5:30 pm with major cloud cover. the wind from the south that blew all day had just let up. not sure what the temp. was, my fishfinder doesn't have that feature, (which i hate), but they were caught in 13' of water movin right allong about 2 mayby 2.5 mph. buy the way, we also noticed that dredging has taken place in both marinas scince we were there in 2003. when entering each marina; from harbor mouths well into each marina is pushin 13', then kicks up to 6' in the marina bays and boat ramp areas.
[signature]
Those are a couple of nice fish! Thanks for the report and good luck on your next trip out.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, even though you were out there for 8 hours, you did good to catch two wipers in such poor conditions. In years past I would sure fill lucky catching any fish this time of the year. Was that Jann's first wipers? Did they give her a good fight? WH2
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, fencekid. I'm getting excited to fish that lake soon. April should be REALLY good for those fiesty fellers out there as the water warms up even more.
[signature]
Nice fish, a pair of those wipers would hook anyone for life!! Can't wait to get my fly rod bent by a few of them!!! Jake
[signature]