Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the plunge (so to speak)
Yet another newbie.

While most of my fishing has been throwing flies on rivers and streams here in Colorado, I've finally become crazy while bushwhacking the edges of lakes/ponds/reservoirs watching tubers lounging around and catching most of the fish.

Accordingly, I've been snooping around looking for the best solution (pontoons vs vboats vs uboats vs doughnuts etc), and I've come to the tentative conclusion that the best all-around bang for the buck is the Fish Cat 4, on the theory that I'd sit up fairly high (nice for fly casting and keeping my ample posterior warmer), move well on the water, and it fits in a vehicle and is light enough to carry.

I was lucky enough to happen upon this forum, and I'd be very grateful if you folks could let me know if the Fish Cat 4 is the best bang-for-the-buck solution. I'll be using force fins (got 'em cheap) over wading shoes, so I can get out now and then to wade.
[signature]
Welcome to the BFT message boards and to the Tubing Forum. Newbies are always welcome here.

I happen to have a Fish Cat 4 (FC4). I thought that is was a good deal and realy enjoy the usage that I get out of it.

The price was right, the weight was moderate and the storage capabilities for bass, cat and trout angling are awesome. They are also good for getting to some of those deep areas that are not castable from shore.

If you decide to get one, I hope that you will enjoy it just as I and others on this forum have enjoyed our FC4.[cool]
[signature]
Hi there Phaser,

Unllike TubeN2, I opted for a lower profile StelthRider as I fish the salt more than freshwater. I figured it would reduce the ever-present wind effect on a higher profile craft. Probably a big mistake as I've heard no complaints on being blown around on the Cats!

In Japan, the high mountain lakes have a lot of wind and I imagine that's the case in the higher lakes of Colorado too. Still, better a dry behind and a little more leg work if needed!

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Howdy and welcome. I am including some links to past threads on the FC4, that may help reinforce your current positive opinion of them.[/#0000ff]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=125604;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]FISH CAT IV[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1]
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=148360;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]FISH CAT IV QUESTIONS[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1]
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=151939;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]FISH CAT ON THE WAY[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1]
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=152820;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]FISH CAT ARRIVED[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1]
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=151509;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]PROUD OWNER OF AN FC4[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1]
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=149097;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]ANOTHER FISH CAT ORDERED[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1]
[/size][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=158310;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][#000000][size 1]SETTING UP AN FC4[/size][/#000000][/url][size 1] [/size]

[#0000ff]We have quite a few members here in Utah who have gone through the same evaluation process and who have ended up with the FC4. I don't know anyone who got one who regrets choosing it over the other options in the same price range.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are a bass chaser, you will definitely appreciate the big roomy side pockets, which hold lots of lure boxes. They have plenty of D rings too, for attaching other goodies, like rod racks and sonar. Review some of our past threads in the BEST OF THE BEST thread at the top of the page, and you can get some good ideas for tricking out your new toy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let us know your final decision and come on back if you need some assistance. If you would like to get a few of the chapters from my (unpublished) book on basic float tubing, send me a PM with your email address and I will be happy to send some light reading to help speed up your learning curve.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You guys are amazingly helpful... I'm looking forward to some brain-picking as I figger out how to attach all the fish-finders, DVD players and Expresso machines.

As to species, I've been all about trout (I lie... I never turn my nose up at Kokanee salmon and the odd whitefish has made it into the net). However, I'm looking forward to some bass and walleye chasing, as well as throwing flies as long as my arm for early season pike around ice-out in the mountains... although I'm thinking those teeth might be a poor match for inflatables.

I'd been planning on using force fins strapped over wading boots... so I can do some wade fishing... now that I've browsed the forum a bit, I'm thinking of dropping the wading boots in the wet storage space in front of the seat and using those little footsie things with hard plastic soles my kids wore to the water park. Would I be better served that way, rather than clunking around with fins on my wading boots?

Thanks again for the help and the warm welcome.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]All things that go into putting together your system are a matter of personal preference. I advise you to keep reading through the past threads to get a handle on at least what your options are.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have been doing this over 40 years, and I have tried just about every combination of waders, fins, booties, etc. that you can imagine. I have come to prefer using a diver's boot over the wader foot (soft) and then getting strap-back divers' fins large enough to take the whole package without cramping my feet in cold water. Again, there is a lot of that in the past threads I have collected in the Best of the Best.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are quite a few tubers who chase toothy critters from their inflated craft. Fish control is the key issue. Keep a big long-handled net, to keep the fish away from your tube. Also, have some Berkeley lip grippers and long nosed pliers for holding the fish securely and safely removing hooks. I have never heard of anyone suffering tube damage from the teeth of the fish, but if you use big lures with several sets of trebles...for bass or pike...you run the risk of having the fish run a hook into your air chamber if you do not control it and keep it away from you. I know that HAS happened.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
If the diver's booties have a hard rubber/plastic sole, that sounds great.

Any thoughts on an inexpensive, simple, rugged fish finder?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Again, I refer you to going to the thread at the top (Best of the Best) and scrolling down through the links to different topics...including sonar and booties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Most of the divers boots or reef boots do have a hard rubber sole, that helps protect the foot section of your waders from punctures and your feet also.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A lot of us have adopted the Eagle line of sonars for our tubing. The Cuda 168, with a temp guage, can usually be found for around $100 (minus battery) and is easy to install on a tube. Once you get used to having sonar on your tube, it is like fishing blind without them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I am primarily a flyguy as well and have flyfished out of the old round-style tube, pontoon, and now a Fishcat4. I'm loving the Fishcat! You sit high enough to cast as far as you need (which isn't that far out of a tube). It is very easy to manuever on the water as well.

Welcome to the board!
[signature]
Well I got so excited that not only did I run to a local fly shop and buy the FC4 ($139.99 plus $20 for a 2 way pump that inflated it pronto), but I braved wind and snow to launch for the maiden voyage!

What a great approach... hitting structure I could only dream about yesterday.

One question.... I wasn't thrilled about strapping fins over huge clunky wading boots... How much larger scuba booties should I get, given that I'll have neoprene stockingfeet with the waders??? My feet are a 12, and I'm thinking that 2 sizes up should work.. is that logical???
[signature]
glad you enjoyed your tube! In the Best of the Best posts on the main page, Tubedude has a link to discussions about fins.

What I would recommend is that you take your waders with you when you buy the booties. That way you can try everything on to make sure the booties will give you adequate circulation to your toes.

You never did say if you caught any fish on your voyage . . .
[signature]
Nope... didn't catch anything... wind and snow and frozen fingers and finally wussed out... but I've not yet begun to fight.

I was hoping for a bootie rule of thumb 'cause I'm considering picking up a pair on ebay.

I'd also be interested in opinions on the [url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0011351810636a&navAction=push&navCount=5&indexId=cat20616&podId=0011351&catalogCode=IF&parentId=cat20616&parentType=index&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20564"]Neoprene/felt booties[/url] I saw at the Cabela's website.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you "broke the ice", so to speak. Sometimes it is good to get in a couple of shakedown cruises, to get the hang of your gear, before you get serious about the fishing part. It is better to be able to concentrate on fishing than to be fighting with your equipment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since all waders, booties and fins are not created equal, you risk wasting money by purchasing something you have not been able to try first. Emuscud offered good advice. Don't know where he came up with that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unfortunately, there is no exact ratio of upsizing boots or fins to accomodate waders. I wear a size 13 shoe, and there is no divers' boot or other wading shoe that will fit over my neoprene boots with a couple of pair of socks inside. In the attached picture, I use an old pair of wraparound neoprene tubing booties (#5) that used to be manufactured by Cabelas. No more. I don't know what I am going to do when those finally wear out. I have looked for years to find a similar design.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also in that pic are a pair of Redhead "flats boots" from Bass Pro Shops (#8). I wear these during the warmer months, when I do not need waders. I put a pair of protective soft socks on and the neoprene makes a more comfortable day than wading boots or tennies. Again, those are something you really should try on before you buy them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you will see in the picture, there are lots of options, and I have tried them all. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I could find someone with some money and entrepreneurial spirit, I would have them reproduce those boots I used to get from Cabelas. With all of the tubers and tooners out there now...who all have the same problems...I think they would be a big seller.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If nothing else, I have been thinking about going to a dive shop, that makes neoprene wetsuits and boots, and having them make a custom pair. With the right adhesives and stitchery, you could even remodel a pair of standard boots so that you can step in the back, pull them on over your neoprene feet in your waders and then wrap some velcro straps around the ankles to secure them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Having been a certified diver for (gulp) 38 years, I recall that in the old days the wetsuit manufacturers made a limited range of sizes, and any good dive shop would cut and paste with neoprene and glue to customize the fit. Seems to me if one found a pair of cheap pull-on neoprene dive booties with a decent sole and picked up some Velcro at Wal-mart, a decent dive shop might be able to cut up the back and attach a Velcro closure flap. Perhaps I'll see if I can find a shop in Denver (not the center of the diving universe) that can look at your picture and replicate the concept.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I had planned to do the same thing myself. Just that necessity has not been urgent enough to overcome inertia.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Let me know what you find out. Seriously, if a dive shop would be willing to make a line like that, they could do a brisk business.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It's that dang inertia thing again. I seem to suffer constantly.
[signature]
I consider myself a graduate of the "Tubedude School for the Tube Challenged." I've at least graduated from the ground school, I still have to get more hours on the water though.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Nate, are you coming out of hibernation?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have a bunch of new jigs and flies we need to introduce to the fishies in your neighborhood.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well, I got out for trip #2.... took a spinning rig with a Gulp worm Texas rigged, and a fly rod with a couple of microscopic nymphs... fly rod 5 rainbows, spinner 0.

I can't tell you how cool it was watching the guys flogging the water from shore, while I lounged around catching fish 75 yards out.

Now for the rod holders and perhaps a fish finder!

BTW.... thanks to all for the FC4 recommendation... I had three guys in more expensive tubes remark that I (at 245 lbs) was sitting way higher out of the water than their skinny selves, and the two guys wrestling with a pair of pontoon boats were actually drooling with envy.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sounds like you are "hooked".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bassin' should pick up with warmer water. In the meantime, just enjoy the heck out of your new toy and keep refining your setup. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Oh yeah, it's okay to gloat a lot. That's a common thing with successful tubers. I have had a lot of trips when I suspected that the guys on shore were gonna mob me when I came in. Just be gentle and don't dis them too bad.[/#0000ff]
[signature]