Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Taking the plunge (so to speak)
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you "broke the ice", so to speak. Sometimes it is good to get in a couple of shakedown cruises, to get the hang of your gear, before you get serious about the fishing part. It is better to be able to concentrate on fishing than to be fighting with your equipment.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since all waders, booties and fins are not created equal, you risk wasting money by purchasing something you have not been able to try first. Emuscud offered good advice. Don't know where he came up with that.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Unfortunately, there is no exact ratio of upsizing boots or fins to accomodate waders. I wear a size 13 shoe, and there is no divers' boot or other wading shoe that will fit over my neoprene boots with a couple of pair of socks inside. In the attached picture, I use an old pair of wraparound neoprene tubing booties (#5) that used to be manufactured by Cabelas. No more. I don't know what I am going to do when those finally wear out. I have looked for years to find a similar design.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Also in that pic are a pair of Redhead "flats boots" from Bass Pro Shops (#8). I wear these during the warmer months, when I do not need waders. I put a pair of protective soft socks on and the neoprene makes a more comfortable day than wading boots or tennies. Again, those are something you really should try on before you buy them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you will see in the picture, there are lots of options, and I have tried them all. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I could find someone with some money and entrepreneurial spirit, I would have them reproduce those boots I used to get from Cabelas. With all of the tubers and tooners out there now...who all have the same problems...I think they would be a big seller.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If nothing else, I have been thinking about going to a dive shop, that makes neoprene wetsuits and boots, and having them make a custom pair. With the right adhesives and stitchery, you could even remodel a pair of standard boots so that you can step in the back, pull them on over your neoprene feet in your waders and then wrap some velcro straps around the ankles to secure them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Taking the plunge (so to speak) - by Phraser - 03-22-2005, 12:52 AM
Re: [Phraser] Taking the plunge (so to speak) - by TubeDude - 03-25-2005, 12:24 PM