Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 3/22/05
Fished Strawberry again today with my dad. We fished the marina from 7-10. It was very foggy early in the morning and then that cleared but it was cloudy for a while and finally about 9 the sun broke through and warmed things up. We fished in 31 feet deep with paddlebugs/foxee's/finkeys tipped with mealys and wax worms. The catching was very consistant all morning. I iced 15 cutts with 2 under the slot and my dad landed 5 fish and missed many many others because he would set his rod down to warm his hands (he's from CA and not used to the cold weather). Nothing over 20 inches again today but some real beefy 19-20 inch fattys. There is about 4-6 inches of fresh snow on the ice but the walking was pretty easy and I'm sure it would be fine for sleds and wheelers as well. The ice is still about 32 inches and shows no sign of melting or getting soft. There should still be several weeks of good ice fishing up there.
[signature]
Thank you for the report. I'm glad the action continues to be good for you. I can't wait to hit it again this weekend. Two questions; 1) were you still getting the fish on the bottom or were there some suspended trout? 2) Was there any sign of slush beginning to form with the new snow? Thanks in advance.
[signature]
Doggone- The ice conditions were excellent today with no slush whatsoever. Just hard ice/frozen snow (about 30-32 inches) with about 4 inches of fresh powder on top. I am sure tonight that the lake is getting more of the fresh stuff! All of our fish today were within a foot of the bottom. I saw maybe 3 or 4 suspended fish on the sonar and reeled up to them but no action. It really seemed to help to bounce the jig off the bottom a few times and then reel up one crank and dead stick it. Many of the fish today would take the jig when I was bouncing it on the bottom and when i would reel up one crank they were practically hooked already. Berkley trout scent really seemed to help as well. Good luck!
[signature]