Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone up for Idaho Salmon?
The Idaho Fish & Game is predicting that excellent numbers of Chinook salmon will make their way into the Snake and Clearwater Rivers this spring and summer. They don't have a season every year, only when there are a certain number of salmon. Season dates will be anounced within the next month or so. The season usually runs from late April or early May until late July or early August. Limit is 3 salmon per day, but posession limit is 9! Non-res license is $28.50 for 3 days.

This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fish for ocean-run kings that are anywhere from 10 to 50 lbs (Idaho record is 54lbs). The drive from SLC would be close to 500 miles, but well worth it for such an awesome opportunity.

Would any BFTers be interested in planning a trip? If we split gas costs and camped out it could be pretty economical.

Anyone have experience fishing for spring chinooks? I've caught them in the ocean, but never from inland rivers.

[url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/news/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=2509"]http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/news/releases/view.cfm?NewsID=2509[/url]
[signature]
I would have to play it by ear, but I would be interested,
jed
[signature]
I would love to do this. Are you thinking of floating it or from shore? Thanks for sharing this. I can't guarantee, but will throw my hat in if it falls on a good date.

tuber
[signature]
I have fished the Cleawater several time's for steelhead but have not made a salmon run but I am allso planing too do a spring trip I have several friend's that are guide's and would be more than willing to take a few guy's out not sure of the price but I do know that bank fishing is near immposible becouse of the high water we will just have to see what fish are coming over lower granite first then see when thay get to the latter's at lewistn then it would be worth the 11hr drive man it's a long one but it is an awsome river to fish.Let's keep this in minde for the month's too come ......
[signature]
Most people fish for them from boats and I plan to have my new boat by then, but tubes would be a very fun and exciting option. Landing a 30lb+ King in a float tube would certainly be one to brag about!

Timing can be arranged as much as possible so it works for whoever wants to go. I've heard the best time to go is May-June. The first ones start showing up in late April, early May and a month or so later is when the biggest fish are usually caught.

Its pretty scientific, all the salmon that make it into these rivers have to pass through a final fish ladder & counting station on the Oregon/Idaho border. You can get current day-by-day info on salmon counts, sizes, etc at this station on the internet.

Here's a couple of itty bitty ones caught last year that I pulled off a guide's website (of course, we don't need no dang guide!!)
[signature]
[Smile]Now thats something I could be forced into but only if my arm is twisted slightly [Wink].
[signature]