Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing The Chesapeake Bay During Fall (with pictures)-REPORT
[center][size 3][b]Fishing The Chesapeake Bay During Fall[/b][/size][/center]

[size 3]On Friday morning, 10/25/02, Ron and I were discussing what area of the Chesapeake Bay we should fish. I suggested the Upper Bay just outside the Patapsco River. Ron was leaning toward the Bay Bridges and south. By the time we left the local 7-Eleven our plans were made...Kent Narrows here we come.[/size]

[size 3]We launched at the ramp off of Route 18 under the new Kent Narrows Bridge. There are 2 large ramps at this facility and plenty of parking. If you plan to launch or park there, a Queen Ann County sticker on your trailer of vehicle is mandatory. This sticker can be purchased, cash only, for $25.00 at Anglers before crossing the Bay Bridge.[/size]

[size 3]It was an overcast day with the wind coming out of the east/northeast creating a slight chop on the water. We were looking for some 'birds on the water' while traveling through Prospect Bay on the way to Eastern Bay. No birds were sighted so we decided to look in deep water for active fish. This turned out to be a good decision. In 30 minutes we were catching some nice trout, off the bottom, in 38 feet of water. The overcast day made it an ideal for catching fish. The fishing wasn't fast in the morning, but we did land some nice trout, bluefish and stripers to 17". This changed at 12:30 when we looked north and saw the below.[/size]

[size 3][Image: 100-0067_IMG.JPG][/size]

[size 3]The fish finder lit up each time we came within casting distance of diving birds.[/size]

[size 3][Image: 101-0133_img.jpg][/size]

[size 3]It turned out to be an excellent catching day. The majority of fish landed were striped bass in the 16" to 17 1/2" range. They were very healthy and put up an excellent fight on [i]fly and light tackle[/i] equipment. We fished areas south from Kent Narrows to Poplar Island.[/size]

[size 3][b]MOST PRODUCTIVE FLY-FISHING EQUIPMENT, FLY & TECHNIQUE[/size][/b]
[size 3]10 Weight, Floating Line W/30# Fluorocarbon Leader & Fly Pictured Below[/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][b]Floating A Fly To Breaking Fish:[/b] Cast out the floating fly. The rod tip should be parallel and very close to the water surface during the retrieve. Start stripping swiftly in 2’to 3' increments. Keep a close eye on the fly at all times. Wait until the fish takes the fly down before strip/setting. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: 101-0136_img.jpg][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][b]MOST PRODUCTIVE LIGHT TACKLE EQUIPMENT, LURE & TECHNIQUE:
[/b]Spinning Rod & Reel, Spooled With No-Stretch Line & A 5'-30# Fluorocarbon Leader[/size][/font]

[size 3][b]Vertically Spoon Jigging-[/b]Open the bail and close it after [b]the spoon makes contact with the bottom.[/b] The rod tip should be at 9 o'clock and with a TIGHT LINE swiftly SNAP the rod tip to the 11 o'clock position. Snapping the wrist-not by using the forearm does this. On the descent back down to the bottom, keep a TIGHT LINE, while lowering the rod tip in sync with the spoon as to not impede on the spoon's movement.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3][Image: 101-0134_img.jpg][/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3][b]FISHING TIP: (A Special Thanks To [i]Rod Rice[/i] For Sharing His Knowledge Which Makes This Tip Available)[/b] [/size]

[size 3][b]As Pictured In The Above Photo
[/b]Attach a quality snap swivel to the end of the no-stretch line. Cut a 5-foot piece of 30# fluorocarbon (stays stiff) line for the leader. Tie a double surgeon knot one end of the leader. This will be the end that attaches to the snap swivel and must not be too big. [/size]

[size 3]From the other end of the leader measure up approximately 3 feet and tie another double surgeon knot. The loop in this knot will be about 3" in diameter, or large enough to put the fly of your choice through.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3]Install the last double surgeon knot on the end of the leader closest to the fly. The loop here must be big enough to accept the spoon(s) you will be using.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3][b]Attaching The Fly:[/size][/b]
[size 3]Pinch the ends of the loop between the trigger finger and thumb and push the line through the hook eye of the fly. Make the loop large enough for the fly to pass through. Push the fly through the loop and pull it tight. The fly can be removed and another fly attached without making another knot.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[size 3][b]Attach The Spoon:[/size][/b]
[size 3]Attach it the same way the fly was attached. The only difference is that the loop is larger.[/size]

[size 3][b]NOTE: [/b] This leader will allow you to change the fly or spoon size without making an extra knot.[/size]

[size 3] [/size]

[font "Arial Unicode MS"][size 3]Visit my WEB site for other detailed reports and articles http://www.capttomhughes.com[/size][/font]
[signature]