Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
03/24/05 Top Water @ Provo River
I fished for a couple hours at the Provo River today to brush up my fly rod skills and managed to hook 3 browns and a nice missed hookset on a nice BIG brown. Friend of mine managed to hook and land a sweet 16 inch brown. Brilliant colors.

The BWO hatch was fast and furious even though the weather sucked but it was one heck of a time watching the browns come up for a snack on the end of my fly line.
[signature]
What time was you there, and where were you fishing at? Tossed a couple of spinners arond 4ish just above the creeper stop.
[signature]
I was below the Deer Creek dam above the tunnel. Alot of surfacing browns. I think I will hit it again next week.
[signature]
I was there from 12:30-3:00 PM. The hatch starts typically this time of year at noon and lasts until about 3 give or take an hour or so. But that doesn't mean once the hatch stop is over, look for holes with BWO's circling in it and you should be solid.

I tried chucking spinners yesterday but didnt have any luck with those, but the top water action with a dry fly was QUICK. Missed alot of strikes and a couple came off just before landing them.
[signature]
Will have to break out the fly rod and get ridiculed by the Orvis crowd once again LOL.

Mt fly fishing tech. is truly something to see. I snap flies off all the time trying to cast. But I'm getting better (at least I think so). What sz have you been using?
[signature]
Marty , your not think of hitting it this weekend are you ? Good luck on the elbow room . Remember they put on there waders the same way you do . I been wanting to take a snoopy pole down there and show them how to catch fish . But I'm shy around the crowds . I would think you would do better in the nymph fishing then dry flingin' . But hey , I got my preferences . I haven't been there in about 10 years now . Maybe I should go fling a few at the crowd . Just can't forget the mace for close encounters . J/K I think .
[signature]
[reply]
Will have to break out the fly rod and get ridiculed by the Orvis crowd once again LOL.

[/reply]
What's the "Orvis Crowd"?
[signature]
I was being kind of sarcastic Lobina. In the past couple of years I have attempted to learn how to fly fish. It's not pretty believe me, even my youngest son makes fun of my technique. But I catch fish of the Provo and a lot of them. Orvis is a brand name of some really fine equpiment (very expensive). I have ran into a few of the rivers blue bloods who spend more time worring about how they look, what their presentaion is like, that they have lost the fun in the sport. Now that is not to paint all the fly fishers with that brush. I have met many who have taken the time to show me how (in their opinion) I should be doing it. And were very nice and helpful. I learned a lot and in return I hoped i was able to share my meger knowlage with them. So you have an idea I have been fishing the Provo from high 40 down to the train stop since I was 16. Thats nearly 2 decades now most of it was with worms back when they were ok then flies on a spinning outfit. Now with a fly rod......... gwad i must be getting old! So take that comment with Tongue in cheek, I'm just poking a l;ittle fun back at them.
[signature]