Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
winter driving
As most of us are aware, except those in Hawaii and other locations further west, winter has arrived. It can be a time of new challenges for fishing and hunting, or it can be a disaster. With all the newcomers in Colorado, I consider it a disaster to compete with them on slick roads in a snow storm. They haven't the slightest idea about how to drive on slick pavement, even with their new, shiny SUVs that have never been on an unpaved road. Before any members jump on me, let me explain that yes, I do know what it feels like to hit a patch of unseen black ice and spin out. It is not an experience I'd like to repeat anytime soon. Watching on-coming traffic barreling at you while your truck is spinning 360 degrees is somewhere rated with a proctology exam and has the same result -- the old pucker factor kicks in with a vengence.
Denver had its first significant snowfall yesterday and last night (October 29,30) and it seemed that everyone took leave of their senses, and common sense. Fast driving, passing unsafely, bright lights on, and even one drinking while driving (I couldn't see the brand of beer). And of course there were those who drove too slow (can't fault them on that), but in the fast lane? As experienced as I am with winter driving (both in-town and back country), I wasn't prepared for that patch of black ice I hit. After a 360 degree spin across four lanes of traffic, and the center medium, I ended up in the ditch. Luckily I had four-wheel drive and managed to drive my way out. That taught me a lesson, never assume anything. I didn't see the ice, the 18-wheeler next to me didn't see it and the two cars behind me didn't see it but I should have known. Ice forms under bridges as well as on top. There is no scarier feeling than to be driving in a straight line and then spinning out. It was a good thing I was close to home, I had to change my pants and dry out the seat.
[signature]
hey Jon, how long till ice fishing season?

I live in michigan and I can tell ya that these city dwellers are as about inept on inclemant weather driving as as can be, they forget on a daily bases how to drive through fog snow ice rain nite and sun lite.

here if they are not driving 70 -80 miles down the wet fogy icy roads they aint happy and god forbid should any one get cought in their cross fire.

if you are a waitin for some one to jump on ya dont look my way because I am on the perminant vacation list from one of them dwellers who have to go 70 to get across the streat.
[signature]
Won't be long before the higher elevation lakes can hold the weight. I hear some of them already have several inches of new ice. I've never been one for ice fishing but I think I'll give it a try this year, something new to do as I approach the big 60 number.
Yes, I'm off a few people's Christmas card list because of their driving. It's as if they leave their brains at home when the leave the house.
I live just north of Denver and it is still 17 degrees at noon. I'm still running around in my warm flannels. Since I retired from the construction trade, due to health reasons, I've taken up writing. At least it keeps me out of trouble, most of the time. Being in Michigan, have you seen any old outhouses? I know it's an odd question but I'm working on a magazine article on outhouses and I'd like to have a few pictures of outhouses other than in Colorado. Either all the old outhouses out here have been torn down or they were in short supply; I've found very few. Let me know what you think. John.
[signature]
funny you thought of michigan for out houses,

I was going to say that michigan had put a moritorium on all out houses, meaning that they have not allowed any one to build a new out house in the last 30 years any where in michigan.

then I remembered that my neighbor has one on the back of his house, it is one of them new fangled plastic houses that can be pumped on a regular interval. this type of system is legal because it is a temperary building.

then I remembered the state parks here use out houses in areas where plumbing and electric are not available. they are built on top of 2000 gallon concreat holding tanks that get pumped once a year weather it needs it or not.[Tongue]

if you would like a pocture of these 40 year old buildings I can take one for you when I go out deer hunting on the 15 ov november, sorry that I cant get a picture of a 2 story out house for you, they are all gone [sly]

if you need it sooner let me know and I will see if I can get out there.
[signature]
Thanks for the offer, Dave. Any and all pictures would be appreciated, especially if you have a digital camera (one of the great inventions of the world, I think). In case you're interested, Trenary, Michigan hold an annual "outhouse" race in February of each year. If you want, I can send you their web address.
I get into these weird subjects, like lawnmower racing (ride-on mowers only) with corporate sponsorship. There's even a national org for them but, unfortunately, the closest race to me is in Missouri or Arizona.
Back to outhouses. I caught a blurb during one of my web site tours and started some research. Outhouse plumbing goes back to 2900 B.C. and Ephesus, Greece even had a 70-hole public privy, with plumbing.
Good luck on your hunting trip. I had to pass this year on elk but maybe next year.
[signature]
Hello johnincolorado,

TOO FUNNY, No doubt many of those greenhorn snow drivers find thier why out there from sunny Southern California. When we have a good ran its crazy out here, I can only imagine the same group of people on the snow!

Sorry to hear of your close call, glad to hear it worked out o.k. less a pair of dirty boxers (lol).
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator