Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum report 4-12
My original plans to fish in Idaho fell through so I took my son Joseph to Hyrum in the afternoon. The water is high and only 8 to 10 feet from the top on the spillway. We saw about 63 feet deep at the dam and water temp was about 49 degrees. Joe caught one small trout trolling a green spoon and I didn't even get a hit in 4 hours. The fish showed on the finder, but we never could get any action out of anything both trolling and casting while anchored. Is the water too cold still for the bass to be active, or is it still related to the storm fronts? Or who knows what? The other boaters I talked to didn't catch any either, so I don't think it was just my bad luck. Acey
[signature]
Hey acey
I think it is still a little cold for the bass up at hyrum they would need a real slow presentation with the water temps being so low, but the bows should be hitting, you may want to try hitting it early in the morning and letting a lot of line out behind the boat or use planer boards because they are running pretty close to the surface this time of year and are extremely boat shy. Hope that helps a little.
Don
[signature]
I was on Hyrum last Saturday and the water temp was only 43 degrees, sounds like it warmed up a bit the last few days. I tried trolling and casting spinners for trout with no luck. Then I tried a drop shot rig for bass, still no luck.
[signature]
[size 2]I fish Hyrum quite regularly due to the fact that I live right next to it. When the ice comes off in the spring, the water is left very silty (murky) for several weeks. It's been my experience that it's difficult to catch trout until the silt settles out. When it's silty like this, visual feeding is non-existent and they don't seem to go for bait either. Imagine trying to get the oxygen you need out of silty water while your gills are being fowled by the silt itself. It's as if the silty water combined with the cold water temperature has got them so lethargic they're simply trying to get through this silty period by conserving energy and they're not worried about feeding.

[/size]
[signature]
Yes- the water was still very dirty and silty. I had never thought of that angle on the slow bite before. So do you live in one of the "mansions" on the hill? Acey
[signature]
[black]Definitely not one of the mansions, but I've got just as good a view as any of 'em.[/black]
[center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9125;][/center] [left][/left] [left][/left]
[signature]
Rip- Do you get a discount for the state park entrance fee since you are a neighbor? I was surprised to see the old park entrance building torn down and a brand new one erected. I hope they don't charge more to enter to pay for the new digs. That is the worst thing I hate about going to Hyrum to fish. But still not as bad as the nine bucks to enter Willard. Any idea how much a yearly state parks pass costs? Acey
[signature]