Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Latest Cuda Mount
[black]After reading through most of the posts in this forum and trying several methods of mouting my sonar onto my FC4, and after seeing the latest post by WoolyBugger from Texas using the PVC grate, I finally settled on the following mount. I started with a 4 inch pipe cap and threaded end piece.[/black]

[Image: cudamount1.jpg]

[black]I mounted the display bracket on top of the end cap.[/black]

[Image: cudamount3.jpg]

[black]I slipped the cap over the threaded end piece and taped around the place where they joined together. Don't worry that it doesn't screw on. These two pieces were not made to match. They could have been glued but I found that plastic electrician's tape was sufficient.[/black]

[Image: cudamount4.jpg]

[black]Extra transducer cord was loaded inside the mount and taped in.[/black]

[Image: cudamount5.jpg]

[black]Finished mount is slipped into the cup holder on the FC4. Fits just like a big coffee cup.
[/black]
[Image: cudamount6.jpg]

[black]Finished product fits like it was made for the cup holder. It's stable and can be turned to align face of display with your line of site. Unit sits high enough to be seen well. Haven't had it on the water but it seems to be my best attempt yet.

Lotsa good ways to do the same thing.

zonker
[/black]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]LOOKIN' GOOD!!!!!!!!![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I think I just might change my setup. The one I am using (PVC pipe) is functional...but floppy. That one looks like it makes a lot more sense.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for sharing your creativity.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
zonker,

The creative juices are a'flowin' now! Good ideas that you have there.

How about using 2 caps and edge gluing them together? Cut a large hole in the flat surface of the bottom one to allow you to stuff extra cable into. Top one has the sonar mounted. No tape, no fuss, no muss. Would that possibly work?

I am also considering doing the same with 2 drain grates. Of course, the ultimate would be if we could get them to screw together![cool]

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

WoollyBugger
[signature]
TubeDude,

Thanks for making all of this possible. I'm doing things with a float tube that would never have occurred to me. I've read all of the parts of your "book-in-progress" that you shared. It is very motivating and inspiring. Can't wait to see more, including your work on GPS. (Maybe some discussion about that would be good. I've been using a handheld on my boat for a couple of years.) I hope it all eventually gets to press. It'll be a classic.

WoollyB,

Gluing 2 caps together would probably work even better than the tape. That would completely enclose the extra cable and not leave the potential problem of the tape wearing out or breaking. The reason I used the tape initially was that I wasn't fully sure that this was gonna work and I didn't want to make it too permanent until I was sure. Once I saw how well the tape held the two pieces together I didn't take it any further. Also, I presently lack one of those nice little Dremel tools for cutting the PVC so I'm limited as to what I can do. I'll remedy that lack very soon. Using two end caps is a very good idea. It would make the whole thing very durable and somewhat "permanent." I really like being able to enclose all of the extra cable so that it is out of the way.

Its fun to swap ideas and make improvements. TubeDude's original idea of mounting the unit to a piece of PVC pipe was something I never would have thought of. Then your drain gate idea again was one that never occurred to me.

If you make another improvement jump, please let us see it.

zonker
[signature]
Quote:[size 1]Finished mount is slipped into the cup holder on the FC4. Fits just like a big coffee cup. [/size]

It's funny that you mention that. All this time that I've been recommending the FC4, I thought that the front 2 little sleeves were beer holders[crazy]. That's what I get for being blonde.[pirate]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's why there are TWO of those cup holders. It leaves at least one available for holding the "appropriate" beverage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Silly me, I use them for holding a couple of plastic bottles of fish attractant. Those taste terrible when you forget they are not "drinkables".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey zonker, nice detailed description! I noticed that your FC4 says Sportsman's Warehouse on the side. Was it one of those re-branded tubes rebranded by Sportsmans? I saw one hanging on the wall at the Sportsmans in Provo, and I wondered if it was a different brand's look-alike, or if it were in fact a FC4 just rebranded with the Sportsmans logo.

Also, if that is the case, is it any cheaper rebranded? I know you can get the FC4 for $139 but I don't know how much the sportsmans one is.
[signature]
Hey CM,

The Sportsman's Warehouse tubes like this are Fish Cat 4's. The only difference is the name on the side. They are made by Outcast and are warranted by Outcast. All the paperwork that comes in the box is the same as what comes with a Fish Cat 4. I talked to the store manager before I bought it and he told me that they buy a bunch of them from Outcast so that they can have their name put on them but they are the same item.

Wish I could say I got a better deal by getting the house brand. Actually, Sportsman's in Salem, Oregon gets the same price as anybody else for the FC4 - $139. I bought from them because I couldn't find one anywhere else that was close by and didn't want to mess around with ordering one. Also they have a good return policy. I haven't been disappointed with it.

zonker
[signature]
Hey zonker thanks for the info. Now all I gotta do is just pray for large graduation cash gifts so I can buy it![crazy]
[signature]
Hi cat_man! I too spent a lot of time talking with the sales people at Sportsman’s and was told the same thing as zonker. It is the exact same tube as the fish cat 4, but with the Sportsman’s logo on it instead. The Sportsman’s Warehouse in Midvale Utah has the fish cat 4, but at $149. However, if you buy the tube from Sportsman’s you will also get a pump and a carrying case for the tube at no extra cost, which makes it a decent deal. They only have the blue version of this fish cat 4 and they do not sell the deluxe either (they may be able to special order one in, but I’m not sure).

I ended up buying two fish cat 4 (pumpkin colored) tubes a couple of day ago from a site on the internet for $139 each. I thought about getting mine at Sportsman’s because of the included pump and case, but I wanted the pumpkin color, so I ended up getting mine online with free shipping. They also included a new double action pump since I was buying two tubes from them (with a little urging on my part).

Regards,

Frank
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, Mr. Z, after looking at the pic of your new mount in the picture below:[/#0000ff]
[Image: cudamount6.jpg]

[#0000ff]I would be willing to bet that you will experience the same situation I did with my new plastic bottle mount. That is that it will be a bit top-heavy. I suggest using a hacksaw to reduce the length so that the full mounting tube rides lower in the pocket. Of course, you can also use a small bungee cord to lash up and over to secure it in the pocket with more stability. That's what I had to do. Let us know how yours works out on the maiden voyage.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TD,

The more I think about it the more I think you're probably right about the height. I'm considering cutting it down or else finding some kind of smaller tube structure. Too bad I can't get the extra cable inside the end cape only.

I'll give it a try at first opportunity and let you know how it goes.

zonker

[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You might also consider cutting out some of the cable. Until this last Cuda purchase, I cut and spliced the cables on all my previous sonars. I have been considering doing so with the Cuda too, because the extra cable is such a pain, and it adds to both the bulk and the weight.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you know enough about basic electricity, splicing is not difficult. You cut through the outer plastic cover and find two sets of fine wires inside...one inside another plastic covering. You strip the ends off each set, join them, make sure they are insulated against contact with each other and then make a waterproof seal over the splice with tape and/or shrink tubing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If anyone is interested in a pictorial how-to. I will go ahead and splice mine, and shoot some step by step pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only potential downside of cutting out the extra cable is if you want to use it on a boat too, and do not have enough cable to mount the transducer. Otherwise, the upside of the shorter cable is great.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The other upside is that you can mount the base on a piece of 2X4 that fits the front pocket of the Outcast tubes perfectly. No wobble and no top-heavy. You just have to be sure to mount it for the best viewing angle.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TubeDude,

I for one would like to see the splicing pics. I already have a fish finder unit on my boat so there is really no need for me to have the long cable that is on the Cuda for the tube. I'm always a little gun shy of chopping things up though, at least until I'm confident I can put them back together again. Dealing with the long cable has been the fly in the ointment all along. Without it the inherent problems go away.

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I'll check my supplies of connectors and shrink tubing. As soon as I got all the stuff, I will do a pictorial.[/#0000ff]
[signature]