Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Securing Battery
Some of you have mentioned that you secure your fish finder battery into your tube pocket using foam or plastic boxes. Given the fact that the bottom of the pocket is humped rather than flat, I haven't come up with anything yet that works very well. I'd love to see a picture or two of what you do so that I don't have to reinvent the wheel. Would be nice to have that battery stabilized, yet still be easily removable. Thanks for any help you might offer.

zonker
[signature]
I don't have a pic at the moment but i just lay my battery on its side in the frontmost are of the pocket. I use a small plastic tray inside the pocke that separates all the other goodies from touching the battery.

My goodies in that pocket consist of a pressure differential switch and a small compressor that allows auto inflation and pressurization during the cold water trips. It keeps the tube within 1/4lb of recommended pressure.

I can get a picture of the whole set up over the weekend.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The foam is "nice for nice", but nonessential. As TN2 suggests, you can put the battery in the pocket any old whichaway, since there is no liquid acid involved. But, it is good to keep it from shifting around. That prevents knocking the connections loose, or possibly shorting out on something else in the pocket. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I just wrap a small towel around my hooked up battery and stuff it in the front of the pocket. For the years that I used liquid (acid) batteries, I propped them upright in a small plastic box designed to hold index cards.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]C'mon, let's see if you can out-creative us on this one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Here is how I did mine.

1. A corner of a styrofoam box is measured out and cut to the size of the front pocket of the tube. A recess is cut into the foam for the battery to fit into. (Pictures 1 and 2.)

2. I then sewed in a strip of velcro "felt" to the sides of the pocket. I then applied velcro "tape" to the styrofoam. (picture 3)

3. The foam fits securely into the corner of the pocket, and the velcro anchors it further, even with the curvature of the tube. The velcro allows easy removal when needed. (picture 4)

4. The battery sits snugly into the foam bracket and securely into the pocket.(picture 5) It worked great while I was on the water. I hope this helps.

BTW; great job on the monitor mount ideas (Woolybugger too) I might have to revise my mount as well.
[signature]
DGF,

Great idea! Looks like it would stabilize the battery pretty well.

How did you apply the velcro tape to the styrofoam? Did it have an adhesive or did you use some kind of glue?

I may have a problem in that I think the pocket of the Fish Cat 4 is smaller than that Fat Cat. I'll have to check it out. May not be enough room to lift the battery up very high.

Thanks for your input.

Looks like a cute helper you have there. Hope her daddy takes her fishing. [Wink]

zonker
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great work. Thanks for the pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Did you have to pay a lot for the cute young assistant?[/#0000ff]
[signature]

The velcro I used is that sticky velcro or velcro "tape". The adhesive on it sticks very well to styrofoam. It does not require additional glue or tacking. The sticky strips of "felt" do need to be sewn into the pocket fabric. I "stole" it from my wife, but it is available at craft and sewing stores.

Daddy's big fishing buddy does get to go fishing frequently, but I haven't found a suitable sized float tube for her yet.[Smile]
[signature]
What I did with my battery is wrapped it with that non skid kitchen cabinet lining material designed to keep your dishware from sliding about. It worked great for me the battery would stay put wherever I placed it.
[signature]
[reply]
What I did with my battery is wrapped it with that non skid kitchen cabinet lining material designed to keep your dishware from sliding about. It worked great for me the battery would stay put wherever I placed it. [/reply]

Is that the checkerboard weaved soft plastic stuff?

zonker

[signature]
yep thats the stuff. Just wrapped it around and taped it in place to form a "case" left the top side uncovered. Just place it down in your pocket anywhere youy like. The combination of the battery weight and the non skid surface will keep it in place.
[signature]
Nice, simple solution. Thanks!

z~
[signature]
That stuff is available in several colors. You can get it at Home Depot and other hobby and craft stores.[cool]
[signature]