Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Back on the water!
Sunday, 04/17/05- Back on the water! Lanched at about 7:30am at Lake Mead Marina. Improvements being made on the ramp resulted in only two lanes being open. Expect long lines if you are going to use this ramp in the near future.
Headed to Las Vegas Wash to try some cut bait fishing. Anchored near the red bouy and started chumming, using corn and cut shad. Within an hour I had landed at least 10 fish. The majority of these were very small, however I did manage to get two 3-pounders in the boat. All these fish looked very healthy. There were several boats in the area and everybody seemed to be catching fish.
On the way back, before entering the harbor, I made two drifts with anchovies near the tires. This added one more 3-pounder to the box. Off the lake by 11:30am.The water was calm, and it was a perfect day to be out on the Lake. I can't wait untill I get to do it again.
BaySport
[signature]
I use a graphite pole and a line counter reel when live bait or cut bait fishing. Graphite gives a good "feel" and the line counter reel always let you know where your hook is. No need to cast since I fish from a boat. 12-17lb. test monofiliment with a 3 ft. florocarbon leader ( florocarbon is suppose to be near invisible to fish). I slide a sliding sinker holder (a small plastic tube with a swivel snap on it) onto the monofiliment, then tie on a swivel, then tie the florocarbon leader to the other end of the swivel. An octopus hook is my favorite hook to tie on to the leader. The sliding sinker holder is prevented from sliding to the end of the leader by the swivel. Some anglers prefer to use egg sinkers instead of a sliding sinker holder. I like the sliding sinker holder because it allows the amount of weight to be changed without having to retie the leader. Either way, I think a sinker that slides gives you more feel. This is the rig I use, I hope the way it was described it makes sense. I have caught a lot of fish with this rig, however a friend of mine uses a spinning reel, ties the sinker right to the line, or uses a big split shot, uses no leader material, and ties on about any kind of hook in his box and he catches as many fish as I do.

I look at my fish finder to get an idea of where to drop the line. The line counter reel really is worth the money for this type of presentation.

I hope this information helps you,
BaySport
[signature]
[size 2] [font "comic sans ms"] BaySport, thanks for the report and the added information. Seems to me you started the fishing thing a little early this year. Did ya get bored sittin' around the house. lol

Take care,
David
[signature]
I'm way to busy to ever get bored. I just had to get back on the water. I'm going to try to fish this Saturday a.m. Should be a good day and the fishing should be okay.
BaySport
[signature]
Hi Baysport

Thinking about going out to the Wash myself - off work and can pick my days -but looks windy Thursday and Friday. Did you see any surface activity?
[signature]