Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Carp fishing
Anyone else chase carp in Eastern Idaho????

I mostly just shoot them with a bow but have caught them with flies, bait and the always reliable oversized treble hook.

Last Saturday I went after carp at American Falls. After putting flies in front of several of their noses I put down the fly rod and picked up the snagging rod. The carp seemed to "bite" the 5/0 treble hook much better than the flies I was using [sly].
The water was pushing 60 degrees in the shallows last Saturday afternoon. Considering the warm sunny weather that we have had today and the forecast for tomorrow I might have to give the carp another "stab" tomorrow.
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3] [/size][/font]
[signature]
[pirate]I will be chasing the "bonefish" of the West in the next couple of weeks. I really want to learn how to catch them on a flyrod. Hopefully it will not take me too long to figure out how to catch them. It could be embarrassing spending gas money on carp.[crazy]
[signature]
When someone tells you that carp are difficult to catch they aren't joking. I find it easier to take a 20" fish on the ranch than a big carp (20+ lbs) on a fly. After you get one to take your fly then you have to keep them from getting snagged up, which is almost impossible in some places.
Good luck if you go out after them.
[signature]