Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Sat 4/23/05
Well I just got back from a fairly quick trip to Willard. Did not see much reason to stay any longer. Got out there a little after 9:00 a.m. There was a pretty good crowd at the SW corner so we continued around to the light pole. Man!! That road is awfull!! I thought for sure that we would be rewarded for our efforts but to no avail. Counted a lot of boats on the water and did not see any fish caught. By the time we got back to the SW corner 90% of the people had already left. Didn't even stop to fish. I was assuming (and we know what happens when we do that!) that they either caught them all or that the fishing was pretty poor. I think the latter is true. I hope the rest of you had better success than we had. I was fly fishing from my pontoon and my buddy was throwing from the bank. We were throwing white, chartruse, and clausers. Still great to get out. I left my radio at home so I am not sure how any other BFT members were doing. Jake
[signature]
we just got home also, we managed two one wally and a wiper, trolling was prety slow talked to my buddy wodpile , he was on south shore he caught 4 big wipers. he didnt go out with me cause i took my grand kids. and that prety well takes care of there fishing for a while. im sure woodpile will post a report latter cause its one of the only times he catches fish.[Wink]im sure he was using the old worm and marshmallow trick. heard booomrang and fondoffishin on the radio but couldnt get no response talked to one fellow bfter but forgot who it was hey boomrang you the same boomrang over to the gorge alot in the summer i here guys calling out your name on radio quite a bit skiippy says your bearlake mac? my handlle on marine band is wugat i think wwe trolled around at pineview mgb, was showing us the finer points of muskey fishing he a master. well think ill hop into the shower and head out to play some texas holdem at wendover.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You probably heard fishinfool and me gabbing on the VHF. I picked up your conversation to woodpile. You boys did better than we did.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]This was, by far, my worst outing of the season. Zippo, nada, zero, and zilch. 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. I fished with TD and Tubebabe. We trolled all over but couldn't get a hook up, oh, except for a big, ugly carp. Can you believe it? A carp on a shad rap at 2.2 mph. That topped off the day. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Fishinfool and his group hooked up on some dandys, The worst part of his day was when the park rangers pulled him over and wrote him a warning ticket for non contrasting numbers on his boat. Yikes![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Anyway, I can't really complain. This spring has been pretty good to us so a bad day should be expected.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Boy, can I relate to your day on Willard!
[signature]
I was suppose to meet my boss this morning to do some fishing but he canceled at 6:00am this morning so I desided I might as well go by my self. Trolled from the south marina out towards the light pole and hooked up with two walleyes and lost another. Then trolled over to the SW corner and did not get any hits. I ran into DKS JR at the SW corner so I told him to jump in. We trolled back over to the area where I caught the first two and picked up two more then went over to the island and caught another walleye. Total fish today was 5 walleyes.

Ran into alot of BFT members today,it was good seeing everyone.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]BLM, Now you know how 5 out of my 6 trips to willard have been for me this year.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Today I decided to try someting different. I put on a worm harnes and a small sinker. Trolled as slow as my motor would go and pulled a bucket too. Picked up a walleye and a wiper. Later on, a chartruse grub got me another wiper.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I talked to a lot of folks today who got skunked. Seems like this higher water and weter weather pattern this year is making it a little harder to figure things out ... at least it is for me anyway.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]My fishing buddy today tried everything I did and never even got a bite.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]But then I ran accross MGB who had picked up 5 walleye.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]There were lots of fishing boats on the pond today and few skiers. Nice to see so many folks out enjoying the weather.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
Nice eyes . Sure you go for the walleye when I can't go .
[signature]
Started at about 6:45 this morning. Launched at the South Marina and met MGB at the ramp. After a quick howdoyadoos, we was on our way to the island area in hopes of putting a hurtin on the wipers and walleye population.

Picked up two wipers in about 15 mins. The first one was little guy, and the second was a nice fat slab at 18 inches. Got those on a crawler harness. Fished are guts out for a couple of hours with no more sniffs or any action at all. Started throwing some jigs and bam, 21" walleye in the net. Two casts later, bang another walleye in the boat. Then it stopped. Started rigging again around the same area and my partner picked up two walleyes and a 19" slab wiper. Called it a day a little after 1pm.

We both felt it was about burger:30. So off we went with four tasty treats and two wipers for are effort. Not bad at all for my first trip out to Willard. Seen a guy get pulled over at the island by the Park ranger? Don't know what was up with that? But they seemed to be watching everyone pretty good out there.

Seen BLM in the mighty Boomerang crusin around. Would have gone and said hi but I didn't want to goof up that good looking spread of boards you had going.Catch ya next time. The boomer rocks! That ship is for sure sea worthy captain!

Fishman
[signature]
[size 1]"I was suppose to meet my boss this morning to do some fishing but he canceled at 6:00am this morning"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Don't you love it when that happens? [/size]
[signature]
MGB, that was DKS Jr. that you picked up today. He told me that you took him out, while I was on the golf course. You made his day. That is the first Eye that he has ever caught. It is nice to have people like you that are willing to share your boat and tallent with others. Thanks for helping him out today, Dale.
[signature]
Sounds like most of you did better than me. I took my son out there for his first ever float tube gig. We waited until evening, as that was when they were biting well last week. That was a mistake. I had been looking forward all week to the beautiful sunny 75 degree day. What happened to that? We arrived about 5:00pm, and by the time we had set up our tubes and waded into the water the big wind blew in. We sat there and watched the whitecaps grow bigger by the minute. It was really howling. So much for my boy's first tubing experience. We ended up hiking down the west dike a ways, storing our tubes in the rocks, and trying to cast from shore for a while. Conditions were tough, and we got no hits. Hopefully we can break in his tube next week.
[walleye]
I thought I might have the name wrong. When he called out on the radio it sounded like "DKSRenegade". I met you once and when I seen your brother he did not look familar but I thought my bad memory was acting up again.

Glad he enjoyed it. When he hooked up with his first walleye I thought he was going to fall out of the boat trying to grab his pole, I had a good laugh.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Don't worry about coming by and saying hi. Glad to put faces on names. Great to hear you hooked up. Our time spent wasn't so prosperous.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I had someone come by Friday in a white and blue starcraft? Nice looking boat. They stay a ways away and tried to yell but we couldn't hear them over the trolling motor. I first thought It was Ira's new boat but nope it wasn't. Who were those masked men who caught 8 wipers? I'm sorry I didn't make the connection![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
hi rich that was myself and fonduvfishin ( larry) noticed you had a board out so thought it was the prudent thing to stay off aways
[signature]
What were you trolling with that netted you all of those eyes - bottom bouncers? Interesting that your catch ratio didn't have at least one wiper in there, at any rate good job on your success, hope to see you out there some day.
[signature]
BLM, as Chris has stated in his reply, it was Aquaman and Fonduvfishin cruising over to say hi. We were done for the day and decided to cruise over and say hi since Chris recognized your rig - nice setup by the way. We noticed you were trolling the planers and didn't want to spook all of the fish eyeing your offerings![Wink]
Maybe next time we'll have a chance to chat at closer range, a handshake's distance. By the way you mentioned a while back that you might be parting with a radio, is that still a possibility? It was nice to see you took TD and TB out on Saturday, Pat is a heckuva guy, haven't met the Mrs. but I'm sure she is much the same. The boat you saw is actually green/white and I have had her 4 weeks. I'm still outfitting her with "goodies" when the budget allows. We did get eight fish: 6 wipers and 2 eyes. Here is a pic of the boat and our catch ( I tried to be creative with the BFT decals Chris has provided me with, soon to be on the boat.)
[signature]
Hey bigbuck,I also heard you on the radio but couldn't get a response,As BLM said the state park guys gave me a fix-it-ticket for my numbers on the boat but was resolved before I left,with a permanent black marker,went over to the north marina and the same state park ranger told me not to woory about responding to the ticket that he would destroy it before it went out.
Me,my son and a friend from work got to the lake at 7:00AM,we went striaght to the west dike and casted to the dike for a 1/2 hour with no takers,there where alot of boats over there and I didn't see anyone catching anything so I headed to the SE corner and was trolling around over there when I heard BLM call out on 16 on the VHF,we talked for a few minutes and he gave me a few options on lures that had worked on his last trip out and I quickly switched over to some other baits,we trolled there for a little while longer with no bites,so I decided to move over by the south marina and try to catch some fish that where in deeper water,There was alot of debrie and garbage in the water and we where getting are lures fouled alot of the time but we caught 6 wiper and lost a few,one wiper was around 22" and about 4lbs.I would have some pics but we left the camera home.
A big thanks BLM,I had a few of the lures you mentioned and that is what caught the fish.
water temp hit about 55 in the afternoon.
trolled slow 1.1 to 1.8 on the fishfinder
black/silver #5 shad raps caught 4 fish
black/silver tail dancer caught 2 fish.
most of the fish where caught in 12 to 14ft of water.
FNF[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hey, Tony![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]No, thanks to you for all your tips to help us try and get hooked up. It wasn't in the cards yesterday. Glad others scored on some nice hook ups. Glad we had the VHF to keep in touch. With VHF fewer people are listening. Worked quite well to keep current while fishing different parts of the lake. Hopefully, next time, I'll be able to tell you where the fish are except during the wiper tourney! LOL![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So it was fonduvfishin and aquaman! Ha! Sorry about not knowing who it was. Come in closer next time and we can at the very least exchange info. Cool pic with the fish on ice. I was also admiring your boat, Fonduvfishin. Nice set up. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, I'll sell my VHF for what I told you. I just want to have it replaced before I part with it. Let me do some checking up on a few things and I'll get with you. You'll like having a VHF. I will tell you this. Tony has a handheld VHF. When Tony was on one end of pond and I was on the other he was breaking up. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Console mounts are hard to beat for transmitting distance. They offer 25 watts of power compared to a handheld's 6 max watts. Since [black]VHF is a line of sight thing a significant increase in range can be achieved by connecting an external antenna to the hand-held radio. Also getting your antenna as high as possible helps. Anyway, I'll get in touch with you about the radio.[/black][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I guess i shouldnt be that disapointed that i did that bad too![Tongue] I managed to hookup with one feisty wiper that hit my producer 2 feet from the shore than ran with it and after about a minute he got off.[pirate] But i did manage also to get a huge carp on my producer.He abused my 8 lb silver thread !Got him him after about a 10 minute fight.Guess thats a warm up to my fishing trip in may.I do got to say there were some rude boaters out there![mad] We fished from shore but some boaters trolled right in front of our lines and even had one boater pick up my line and then drag it for about 200 yds and kept going .I yelled at him twice but i guess he thought it was a big fish.They had all that open water to fish in and they just had to troll less than a 100 feet from us isnt the lake big enough for them!Had to vent a little even my daughter was mad .She said that she didnt want to cast out and hit anyone but i told her go ahead if it hits someone itsjust practice for our vacation next month![laugh]
[signature]
BLM,I know who I'm following out of the marina on the next one.HEHEHE.[Tongue].I dont care how late you leave the marina.[Wink]
Your right on the VHF radio.and I will be getting a mounted unit very soon.
And congrats to all you guys that did hook up,it was tough catching yesterday.The guy I took out yesterday didn't get one fish,I let him reel in the big fish of the day,I just couldn't keep them off my line,I even switched him to the outside pole holder,I then caught one on the center pole holder.fishing can be wierd that way,same bait,same amount of line out,etc.
Later,FNF[cool]
[signature]