Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Motor Advice
Hey all,

Wondering if you can help me with a decision on a trolling motor. I had pretty much decided I wanted an electric instead of a gas because of the quiet approach and the safety benefit of having a more reliable power source if the main motor quits. My boat has deck rails up front, making a bow-mount impossible to mount unless I cut them off. Even then, at the bow I have no access to the underside of the gunwhale, which could make mounting problematic.

So, I decided to get a transom-mount electric. My boat is 18.5' fiberglass, boat & motor weigh 2300 lbs., not including gear or passengers (usually only me and my wife and very little gear). Most people I've talked to have said 40 or 50lbs thrust would be plenty. I figured I'd go with a 55 or 65 to increase my power and maneuverability. I became a bit concerned when I talked to a guy at a local boat store (who obviously wanted to sell me a gas motor). He said that an electric trolling motor, even at the highest thrust available, would do a terrible job pushing an 18' fiberglass boat. He told me I'd only be able to troll in a straight line and wouldn't be able to turn or steer the boat at all.

Some non-biased advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't need it to perform well on high-waves or into a terrible wind as I would have gone to shore already anyway. I just want to be able to follow the shoreline/structure on mild to moderate days.
[signature]
A good 24v electric motor is quite powerful. I had one on my old 19' Crestliner, which wasn't a light boat (around 2000 lbs), and it had PLENTY of guts to pull it around with authority. I could turn it up to full power and troll faster than I ever wanted to. When maneuvering side to side if I wasn't careful it could yank the bow around fast enough to nearly throw me off the pedestal seat into the water. Power isn't the issue.

A transom mount will be less maneuverable than a bow mount, and it will be harder to follow specific structure or contour. Pushing isn't nearly as effective as pulling in this case, but it will still work. Handling in the wind could be a real challenge though. Even a mild breeze will push the bow where you don't want it to go. But this is true for small gas kickers too. You can always "back troll" by operating in reverse. The hard part there is having the waves hit against the flat transom and splashing up into the back of the boat. If you are steering the electric motor by hand then you will get wet.
[signature]
I have a 40lb thrust on my 16' trihull. It is mounted on the bow and is great for staying on top of macs at the gorge or fishing along the bank and such for bass, but will only pull my boat along at about 1.5 mph top speed.
hope that helps.

rob
[signature]
I have a 65 lb power drive on the bow of my 18 footer. I can troll at 2.5 mph GPS with three men aboard. Also I have a bow rail on the boat and didn't cut it to mount the electric motor. It can be done if that's what you want to do. I will email photos if you'ld like.
[signature]
You may be able to squeak by trolling with an electric in ideal conditions, but if you want to fish long and hard and are a serious troller--for the thrust and staying power--gas is the only way to go.
[signature]
I have a bow-mounted 24 volt 74 pounds Minnkota on my 18' Starcraft. I am able to troll at 3 mph (GPS). Being able to pull the boat rather than pushing it is like night and day, when it comes to the ability to steer the boat. If you are looking for something to get you off of the water in case of emergency, as a back up for your main outboard failing you, I would only consider a gas kicker, and even then you don't have much chance in severe weather.
[signature]
one thing that hasn't been mentioned is the location of the motor,
In my experience when you put an electric motor on the transom of a larger boat it tends to wander with the wind and waves but not so on a bow. My opinion is the weight of the motor has alot to do with this I have a 10hp on the rear of my 17' trihull and a 40# bow mount on the front and even when its windy out I can still stay in a straight line with the 10hp but i remember the days when I had a 46# electric on the transom I had a difacult time with even a little wind.
DZ
[signature]
I was just pointing out that nobody was talking about putting an electric on the transom.
DZ
[signature]
So is the concensus that a transom-mount would not work? Remember that I only expect it to perform on fairly calm water.

I'd go for a cheap hand-steered bow mount because I'm already convinced they are better, but I have the issue of attachment when I have no access to the underside of the gunwhales. Don't really want to cut a hole! Kd may be able to help me construct my own mounting plate, we'll see.

QUESTION: What would last longer? A 12-volt and carrying an extra battery to switch to when the first one dies down, or a 24-volt system running off of both batteries all the time?
[signature]
Get a 24v the most power you can get, then run on the lower power settings an the batters will last all day I fish bass tor. and don't have any problems with mine.
[signature]
A message for kd

I have a 55lb thrust and need to see those photos that you are offering. I am losing sleep over this. I bought a motor and now I have know way to attach it to the front of my fibreglass boat. I would appreciate getting these photos from you.

Thanks
[signature]
I have the same problem. I have a bow mount and I have no way to get under the fibreglass to attach it. What is the next best option. Someone mention using a "wing nut" that will go down into the hole and tighten itself. Someone else mentioned attached the motor to a board and clamping the board to the front of the boat with "G" clamps.

Anyone have any ideas or pictures of what they have done.

Thanks
[signature]
A few of you have "pm" me and asked about my trolling motor mount so I thought maybe I should post the photos for all. I did this because of my bow rail which I did not want to cut or remove. Its worked real well for me. Variations on the design could be applied to other situations I'm sure. It's made from two pieces of aluminum "channel" put face to face. For an open bow situation the two pieces could be mounted, one on each side, and a plate fashioned to mount on top. Just one idea, maybe not the best.
[signature]