Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Fork
Fished Henry's Fork above St. Anthony Saturday. It was the first time I was able to go in about 3 weeks due to college finals. I am now done for the summer and am excited to do a lot of fishing. Saturday, the water was up on the river and it wasn't very easy to wade. There was a caddis hatch that was going on. The fish weren't rising until a thunderstorm darkened the sky. While that was going on there was a lot of action on the water. I took out a caddis imitation and started catching them. It was a lot of fun to see a few big guys come out of the water for my fly. Did land a couple nice 19 inchers along with quite a few in the 12 to 14 inch range. That bite lasted for about an hour or two. Up until that point the fishing was really slow. Saw one other guy who caught a white fish and that was it.
[signature]
Good to hear from you Fight4Not. Hopefully I will be able to get out and fish in the next week or so. I am looking forward to the Salmon Fly Hatch and I am going to go out on Ririe when it opens up to see if I can find those cutts that we found during ice fishing.

Windriver
[signature]
Hey windriver,
When does school get done for you? Let me know when you are going out to Ririe for those cutts. That would be fun to go out there again. Also you said something about the salmon fly hatch? Where does that occur and when?
[signature]
Thanks for the report.

The salmon fly hatch on the Henry's Fork starts on the lower henry's fork around the first part of May. The Salmon fly hatch on the Henry's Fork will end on the upper Henry's Fork around the first week of June.
The salmon fly hatch on the South Fork will be during the last part of June and first few days of July.
[signature]
I will be done with school on June 2nd. We should be able to get together before then and try to catch some fish at Ririe. I keep hearing stories about the salmon fly hatch but have never hit it just right. They should go through the area that you fish in the next 2-3 weeks. I have heard that if you hit it on the right day the fish will have salmon flys coming out of their mouths and rears at the same time. I guess you would want to hit it the day before that, but I have heard that it can be an awesome sight.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I went out there to Henry's Fork yesterday to check it out. The water is really really high and even more dirty. It is really dirty, there were logs and stuff floating down the river, it wasn't even worth the time to put a fly out there. Does anyone know if the water needs to be clearer before the salmon fly hatch occurs? Does the hatch occur because of the high water?
[signature]