Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Bay Monday
I decided to try my tube and flyrod in the southwest corner. Fished from about 3 till 6 pm....nada! Not even a hit. One guy fishing from shore that left as I arrived had 3 Wipers.

So what flies work, and what level of sinking line have you'll been using. I have never caught any fish on the West side from shore, only from a boat. It's frustrating! There were others around, but they didn't hook up either. Maybe I should have gone to the north marina for crappie or something. See ya.
[signature]
Hi catfish77, we were at Willard also. One of my sons was on his tube also. He picked up one big wiper and one big carp, using a white bead head woolly bugger. My other son and I fished from the shore with no fish picked up. I think that the weather had to have an impact on the fishing. I have heard from many other folks that the fish at Willard shut down when a front moves in.
O L, maybe next time[Wink]
[signature]
Hey catfish, DKS is right. Those fish really shut down when a cold front moves in. I have tried many of times to coax them into biting when there is bad weather with very limited success. If someone does no how to get'em when the weather is bad, they probably have the lake all to themselves, because the rest of us are home tying flies for the next trip. As far as equipment goes I use a type 2 sinking line, but I am sure a type 3 would work great also. The other way is to use a floating line and a long leader (about 9-11 ft) and then tie your flies weighted so they will get down far enough. This can be a deadly method. As far as flies go, I have been sticking to the whites and chartruses, but because sooo many people are using these colors right now I would be switching up some of the color schemes of your flies. I tied up some great looking blue and white clauser minnows this last weekend that I think on the right day would do really well. Hope this helps, Jake
[signature]