Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newcastle wipers
HedgesD brought up Newcastle Reservoir in the Panguitch Lake thread and how it is chuck full of golden shiners...well, many may be interested to know that the DWR is currently in the process of trying to stock wipers into Newcastle. This sounds really exciting to me because of the tremendous forage base the shiners will provide and the ability of the DWR to control the predator population. Because of its depth and forage base, Newcastle should provide more than just good wiper fishing...it should put out some trophy wipers (above 10 pounds) without changing the trophy smallmouth fishery that it already is.
[signature]
OK THIS MAY SOUND WEIRD WHERE IS NEW CASTLE LAKE! I AM WONDERING HOW FAR WAY FROM SLC IT IS. WHAT TOWN/CITY IS BY IT. AND HOW DEEP IS IT AND THE SIZE OF THE LAKE. I WOULD REALLY LOVE TO SEE VERY LARGE WIPERS IN THIS STATE.
[signature]
Is Newcastle in the southern park of the state? Just how deep is this lake? Thanks. WH2
[signature]
Hope you have a good source of gas money! Newcastle is about 30 to 40 miles west of Cedar City! I used to hit it about 3 times per week when I was at SUU for the smallies. Now I'll have just another excuse to go visit old friends!

From a float tube mounted finder, in a low water year, the max. depth I ever saw was about 40 feet. I would make a guess that when full, the depth by the dam may get to about 60 feet or more. But again, this is just partial speculation.
[signature]
Here is some information on Newcastle Reservoir:

[url "http://waterquality.utah.gov/watersheds/lakes/NEWCASTL.pdf"]Click here[/url]
[signature]
Wipers in Newcastle have been put on hold for next year and pending the big okay.

Ya this place is just like fishing in a gold fish pond with all the shiners.

I just hope the idiots who have been using live shiners and moving them around the southern part of the state won't think they are doing us a favor by getting wipers.
[signature]
Hedges, the wipers have received the OK by the RAC...talking with the southern region biologist, the hope is that the wipers will go in this spring. He told me that these fish could be up to 11-12 inches by fall if they get them in soon...your concern about the idiots moving shiners is very valid...I am more concerned about the idiots moving walleye around, though.
[signature]
hedges -- wormandbobber is correct. It was presented to the RAC in Cedar City last week. It will be presented before the Wildlife Board at their next meeting (I think). They are planning on stocking wipers in June...
[signature]
RAC decisions don't mean anything. They have no power and are typically, emotionally motivated.

Once the Wildlife board approves this then it's a go but until then I wouldn't count on anything being set in stone.
[signature]