Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Record day for Walleyes
Hi there everybody. Went to Utah Lake yesterday. Arrived at 6:30am..left 9:45pm..Whew!![mad]
Started out rainy then finally let up a little and we headed out from the harbor. It was rainy & fairly cool all day. We got a little sunshine in the afternoon.[cool] It was just hot enough to fool ya into thinking it would stay that way, but of course this is Spring time and we do live in Utah which means if ya don't like the weather wait a couple minutes..ya know the same ole' saying for lots of places.[unimpressed]

I caught my first eye of the day about 15 minutes after being on the lake and droppin anchor and had caught 7 eyes by noon. Peck caught 1 in the morning & one eye late in the evening. Fencekid971 caught 3 by noon. Total caught all day were 16 walleyes, 1 channel that I caught around 5-6pm, tons of muddy kitties and 1 strange fish. I had a day total of 9 walleye myself.[cool] This is a one day record of walleye for me and the boat. [sly] This trip out Fencekid caught a total of 5 eyes and Peck caught just the two.[Tongue]

Previous record on the boat was held by Fencekid ( total of 8 eyes)and that was set just last Saturday.[unsure]

(Boat record for our 'eyes only!!![Smile]lol)

I did catch a fish that we were unsure of what it was. Whoa was it ugly!! Kind of strange lookin' and each one of us had different thoughts about what it was. It looked to me like a cross between a chub, carp, walley & LMB. I would wager that it was a cross breed of something.[pirate]
Maybe it could even have been a little like a deformed type of walleye. I saw a pic of a walley on this site that looked goofy? That pic is of the unidentified fish??? out of Yuba ( see post for un-identified fish from Yuba May 3rd)

The color was mostly gray with goldenish hues. When I first saw it I thought it was carp but it didn't quite fight like carp and the fins & scales were different also the color was yellowish, a little orangeish and grey. The grey was actually more predominant than the yellow/orange. Then I thought it's more greyish, "what is a chub doing here?" It was a solid fatty fish like some trout are, was about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs and measured about 15?? inches. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a pic.[pirate]
If I ever catch something like it again I'll be sure to take a picture. Does anyone have any experience with weird looking fish at Ut Lake? This was my first time landing a fish I didn't recognize. Well overall it was a great day. Can't wait to get back out again.

AnglinAngel[angelic]
[signature]
Thats awesome ![cool] Rained all niht and all day here in nephi so i figured it would be bad weather at lincoln.You should change your name to walleye slayer angel![sly]And to think the fishing is going to get better![Wink]
[signature]
[font "Arial Black"][red] Hi there Angel, hey Thanks for sharing the pixs with us. I wasn't aware that Utah Lake had such Big Walleye in it. Do you remember any of the weights of those bad Boys. By the way, what did you catch them on. If you don't mind me picking your brain, LOL[/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000] AFDan52[/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Congrats !! Sweet report and you fish all day to boot . Diehard ! Sure wish I could help on your fish ID but with no pic hard to say . It wasn't the june sucker ? I would like to see the orange sculpin that use to live there but it is extinct now . Do you give out walleye lessons ? I guess I should start out fishing where walleye have been known to hang out would help . Thanks for sharing .
[signature]
Sounds like a really great day. Thanks for sharing and good luck on your next trip.
[signature]
[cool] killer eyes sounds like a good day hopeing toget out weds.
[signature]
Sweet fish!
looks like a good time on UL.. i'm going to be draging my boat that way this week some time.. maybe give bird island try..
[signature]
I bet your unidentified fish was a june sucker or something
[signature]
Wow, nine in one day!!! I can't imagine being on a boat for that long!!!! My kids would hang both of us first, though Ocean would be in heaven !! In your experience, just curious, have you ever had an experience of the wall-eye teeth in your flesh? It seems a rite-of-passage for anglers that catch the sharp teeth!!
[signature]
LOOKS LIKE YOU HAD A GREAT DAY. SOME GOOD EYES THEIR. I CANT BELEIVE THIS BITE THIS YR. IVE HAVENT EVER SEEN SO MANY EYES ON BAIT IN 15 YRS OF CHASING SHARP TOOTH. UNBEIVEABLE... WELL THIS OLD DOG MIGHT GET TO LERN A NEW TRICK. WHERE IS EVERYONE BUYING THE MINNOWS?
[signature]
I caught my one-and-only 'eye (but got several other bites) off of frozen minnows I purchased at Sportsman's in Provo. They have a decent-sized freezer in the back southwest corner of the store that was full of frozen minnows about a month ago. Don't know if they've kept it stocked since then.
[signature]
Lucky for me I have never been thru that right of passage. Many of the fellas on our boat have been cut by them sharp teeth critters..but not "EYE". I did get a small scratch from the channel I caught this past weekend. Which is unusual and boy did it hurt like hell. Stung all weekend.
[signature]
THE TEATH ARE SOME THING TO BE CAREFULL OF BUT ON EYES THEY HAVE A PERFERATED GILL PLATE. WITCH IS SHARP IS AS A STEAK KNIFE. I LAID MY THUMB WIDE OPEN ONCE PULLING FISH FROM THE COLLER AT YUBA SO THE F,G COULD CHECK THEIR SIZE. HE FELT BAD AND GAVE ME HIS FIRST AID KITT FROM HIS TRUCK.
[signature]