Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dish Drain Apron For Fat Cats
[cool][#0000ff]Okay, the mad tubeologist has been at it again. I put together a PVC backrest and rod holder combo awhile back, and decided to incorporate the rigid apron (sushi board) I have been using. I first drilled and fitted my blue rubbermaid container lid . It worked okay.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9756;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]However, I spied a plastic dish washing drain mat out in the garage, and decided to try something new in rigid aprons. After all, it had a drain slot on one end, for rinsing and draining. So, I drilled out a couple of 1" holes, through which to insert the rod holder tube and secure it in place on my seat/rod holder contraption.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9757;]

[#0000ff]I prefitted all of the various short lengths of 1" schedule 20 PVC and connectors to make sure it went together right. I cemented key inline connectors to provide some permanence, but left other joints unglued, to allow quick take apart. It is adaptable to permit using the rod tubes either as a verticle utility holder, or to accept the angled "outrigger" holders for dragging a piece of bait with one rod, while casting lures with another.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9758;]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9759;]

[#0000ff]I also incorporated my old trick of using a rubber band around the outrigger tube, into which I can slip a loop of line off the reel, while leaving the bail open or free spool on. This lets the striking fish pull the loose loop out of the rubber band and take line freely while I scramble to get the second rod reeled in and secured. I then pick up the rod with the outgoing line, engage the reel and set the hook...hopefully.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=9760;]

[#0000ff]Works like a champ, but I already have a couple of alternate designs on the drawing board of my mind.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Nice work Pat! What WILL you come up with next? I totally concur on the flimsiness of the apron on the Fish Cats. It's even weaker than the mesh one was on my donut tube. Gonna have to figure out something I want to use for a harder surface on mine.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Kevin, I have been fighting the apron issue on Outcast tubes ever since I got mine two years ago. I love them except for that...and the low back seat. That's why the wild looking setup.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My "next generation" will be to strap tubes on the inside of the air chambers, for both rigid apron attachment and rod holders. Got it figured out. Now I need to get the straps and put it together. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pics to follow.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Can't wait to see the setup. Seems like it might interfere with your legs while kicking if they were mounted on the inside.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That is a consideration, and I have considered it. However, I have been using the PVC seat, with risers, and have not had a problem. Measurements across the seat are about 19". Width of two knees together is less.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I would never thing of posting "the ultimate answer" until I had tested it first.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey there TubeDude,

So NOW ....... do you know the reason WHY wifey has been making you eat off of paper plates using only plastic knives and forks lately?

It's obvious to me! heh heh heh

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Look Mr. Wiseguy, that was one of many things that have been sitting UNUSED in our garage since our last move. (Not to say that wifey never does dishes)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not that it is any of your &%$# business, but I dine well, thank you. Probably too well. That's why I wear XXL everything.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Maybe I DO have to eat off the cheap stuff sometimes, but that is just cause I get sloppy...and I break things. Gotta admit though, it does help keep me from having to do many dishes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The reality is that I was just trying one more readily available item that was about the right size, lightweight and waterproof to create a serviceable apron for my ride. I could have used mohagany planking, plywood, plastic light fixture panels or whatever. The rest of the system stays the same. Only the aprons are changed to protect the inventor.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey there TubeDude,

Yaaa, I guess I got no position to say anything... just couldn't resist a good shared laugh.

On kitchen stuff, my effort centered around the common (in Japan) Japanese collapsable net umbrellas that you can cover food on the table to protect it from bugs. Japanese houses are often open in the Summer.

Anywho, I just turned it upside down tied lines to its four corners and had me a might fine drop net until.....the nylon netting got torn up by critters!

JapanRon
[signature]