Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
white bass for bait?
if i were to hook up a chunk of white bass, and toss it under a bobber at utah lake, what would i be most likely to catch? i usually use shrimp and crawler combo for the channells, and frozen minnows for the eyes. i usually have great success useing both these baits, but was wondering if a fresh piece of white bass would be any better than what i am using. i don't want to chop up a white bass just to check it out, i'm to busy fishing with what i know works, but i am curious. white bass doesn't cost nearly what i spend on minnows and shrimp anyway.
[signature]
Ive never used white bass for bait either and Id like to throw out another question before those "who are qualified to talk about fishing" chime in. When you use a piece of fish for bait (white bass, perch, etc) do you use a fillet? With or without skin? Or, do you use a chunk of the fish?
[signature]
You would catch walleyes, carp, cats, and a rare bass on a piece of white bass meat.

Leave the skin on for its color and smell, which produces the best results. Also the skin helps keeps it on the hook.
[signature]
[cool] try a 4 or 5/0 circle hook with good sized piece of white bass tipped with crawler on the bottom... caught a 13# channelout a.f. harbor couple years ago.... also works well for eyes and other white bass..
[signature]
white bass is one of the best if not the best thing to fish with at Utah lake in my book.. you can catch most every fish in there with a pice of white bass.. go ahead and give it a try and see for your self how it works..
[signature]
I've been thinking about it for a couple a weeks now. Last Sat some fellow anglers in another boat about 50ft from us got a white bass soon after they arrived and then the old guy sure enough cut it up and they used it for bait. I know lots of people do it and they use carp as well. I guess its about time I try. Always nice to have more options in the arsenal.
[signature]
[left]White bass meat and carp meat are right up there some of the best baits to use on Utah Lake for big channel cats. I use carp meat most of the time since it is so easy to come by and it's free (I can catch one from a pond right here at my work in about 30 seconds with a small worm or piece of bread). If I could come by white bass more often, I'd use that first. I leave the skin on, since it helps keep the bait on the hook much longer. I've caught several channel cats in one night before all on the same piece of carp meat, cause the skin holds it on so good. The hard part is trying to get it off the hook when you leave to go home so it doesn't stink up the car![/left] [left] [/left] [left]Make sure you remove the scales however. Just leave the skin with no scales.[/left]
[signature]
WHITE BASS ROCKS FOR BAIT. ITS GREAT TIPPED ON JIGS. ITS A GRAET CUT BAIT AS WELL. FALLETTS WORK GREAT AND IT IS FISHED BOTH WAYS CUT IN CHUNKS OR WITH SKIN ON. I PREFER SKIN ON. FOR HUGE CATS FALLEY THEY WHOLE FISH HOOK IT THOUGH THE BLOODIEST PART UP BY THE GILLS AND FISH IT WITH NO WEIGHT AT ALL OPEN BAIL. ITS TO BIG FOR THE SMALLER FISH TO INHALE. SOME TIMES A BIG FLOAT WILL WORK BETTER IF THE FISH ARE REALY ACTIVE USE A FLOAT. IF ITS SLOW BOTTOM IS BEST.
[signature]
I'm curious as to weather its legal to use white bass or not. I know that perch and carp are ok but not really sure if the state deems the white bass a game fish or not?
[signature]
It is a game fish and in Utah can only be used for bait on Utah Lake (see III.B.7.(3).© in proc'). You can't use Yellow Perch (another game fish) for bait just any old place either (see III.B.7.(3).(b) in proc'). These are good points to be made. I'm sure none of us want or can afford a ticket.
[signature]
THEY HAVE NO LIMMIT ON WHITES AT UTAH LAKE. IF THEY CLASSIFY THEM AS GAME FISH WHATS WITH NO LIMMIT? WISH THEY DID HAVE ONE THOUGH.
[signature]
AGREED, NO ARGUMENT ON THAT ONE.. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE THEM REGULATE THE WHITES. CHUCK AND I HAVE PICS FROM THE GOOD HIGH WATER RYS OF YESTERDAY. BIG WHITES AND FAT EYES. TWO YRS AGO THEY WERE STILL ABUNDANT IN SCHOOLS BUT NOW SCHOOLS ARE ALMOST IMPOSSABLE TO FIND. IM NOT EVEN TARGETTING THEM THIS YR . THEY HAVE TO BE ALLOWED TO RECREATE. THER ARE SOME GUYS GOING UP THE CREEKS FOR THEM NOW. WENT BY BATLE CREEK AND SAW STRINGERS OF WHITES. HAD A FEW WORDS THEN LEFT DEPRESSED AT THE LOSS OF ALL THOSE WHITES TO THE SYSTEM. I HAVE HARVESTED MY SHARE OF WHITES AND WILL AGAIN SOME DAY. WITH THIS YRS WATER WE ALL ARE IN FOR AT LEAST A FEW KILLER YRS OF REPRODUCTION. YEHAA.
[signature]
[font "Arial"][black]Excellent point crossineyes, just because you can take a lot of whities doesn’t mean you should. If people harvest only a few, the population will likely recover sooner than if everybody goes on a mass slaughter. [/black][/font]
[signature]
A lot of the big walleyes i have caught this year have had big white bass in thier bellies.What i do i fillet it then make a long strip then i put my hook right in the corner so when a fish inhales it they get hooked.I have seen people thread their hooks 2-3 times thinking that its going to be better if they do that .Instead what happens is you end up pulling the bait right out of their mouths.I use this technique when i fish bottom fish the ocean for large groupers and snappers.I rather loose a piece of bait than a fish any day ![sly]
[signature]