Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack Plate?
[cool] With the wealth of knowledge on this site I need some information and help in deciding if I want and need a jack plate, and what design works best. First off, I own a 20' bass boat with a 225. It runs 65 mph on my GPS at willard. My main reason for wanting one is the supposed fuel savings and the second is it would be fun to really let her rip once in awhile in the right water conditions. Do any of you out there run one now and do you think its worth the money. Also is it worth the extra money to put a hydrolic or electric jack plate on? You talk to the sales men or manufactorers and they say sure, but you wonder if they just want to make the sale. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
[size 2]Scooter, if your boat's transom will support it, if you need/want the extra performance, and if you have the coin, go for it! You'll get better performance immediately just from the setback. I also think an electric or hydraulic is the ONLY way to go, since you need to be able to dynamically adjust it like you do your trim to compensate for different circumstances.[/size]

[size 2]Be sure to get a water pressure gauge too, since you want to make sure you don't raise your motor too high to be able to get cooling water to your block. You may also need to rework your prop, since a change like a jackplate will change the other characteristics of your boat. You definitely want to make sure your prop has plenty of bite. But your dealer will be able to help with that.[/size]

[size 2]Good luck.[/size]
I need one, my boat has some serious issues when it comes to these things. But, let me say this, is it really worth the time and money? Clearly not for me. I guess the real guestion would lie in fuel economy. I know the big engines are gas eaters but I cant imagine that your gas mileage would be effected enough to save you a serious ammount of money. But hey, if you are wealthy enough to afford it, who cares right?
Scooter I have a 20 ft Skeeter Bass boat with a 200hp. I just have a fixed position jack plate that works great. The only problem with the fixed position jack plate is that you have to go out and find the most optimal height that will work in all situations. I think if you have the money go with the hydralic then you adjust as you go. 65 mph is pretty fast all I can get out of the old skeeter is 63 on the gps with good water conditions and a cool day. But thats fast enough for me. Better performace out of your boat is always fun. Good luck
[signature]