Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tough Day at Gunlock...or Another Day in the Life of a Tournament Fisherman!!!
Another tournament on the calendar. I left early Thursday morning to head south...picked up my guest and eased on down the road to Gunlock. We arrived about 11 AM and started fishing.

The water temperature was 65 degrees. We worked several coves without much luck, boating only a 2 lb largemouth and a couple of dinks about 10 inches. We didn't want to stress the fish pre-fishing, so after wetting the lines for a couple of hours we headed for the hotel.

The next morning we headed over to Sand Hollow to stretch some lips. The water temperature first thing in the morning was 65 degrees and we headed southeast toward the weeds. The bite was on. It didn't matter what we were throwing...as long as it was shallow.

As the sun got higher...the fish got shallower. We tossed sinko's, Yamamoto's and I lost my last maniac sinko during that feeding frenzy.
Most fish were caught in 6 inches of water. Of course...it's not the tourney day...so life was good and the fishing was hot.

Saturday morning back at Gunlock...and we began the day fighting the morning wind. It was a boat race across the lake to one of the major coves...grand prix and all...both boats arriving at the same time staking out each bank...and began working towards the back.

I started with buzz baits and spinner baits. No luck. Switched to drop shotting worms and lead heading jigs. One fish...tangled me in the brush breaking off the drop shot. No further luck in that cove so I heading up lake. Fronted the boat into a narrow channel and made a few long casts and finally enticed a strike...the results were a 2 1/2 lb largemouth. Boy! It was tough...that day.

Worked the shoreline...and picked up an occasional biter. The rules of this tournament matched the strange lake regulations...so we could only bring into the weigh-in a 5 fish total...with the rest scored on paper.

By the end of the tournament...we headed to the weigh-in with about 3 minutes to spare. Several boats were already waiting to weigh their catches.

Tough day...tough fish...tougher tournament. Finished in 6th place with 4.8 lbs.

Just another day on the water...and another day of fishing. It was great!!!

Sure wish I'd had more maniac's...maybe things would have been different.

Tight lines.
[signature]
That's to bad Cliff! wich color did you run out of?
[signature]
hey bassrods, is it too shallow to float tube over there? will i be scrapin' booty and gettin caught up in sticks or is it cool to bob around over there? i tried to wade out over on the side by the boat ramp/port a potty area but the ground is waaaay too soft. i wanna go to sand hollow this weekend instead of quail but if i can't float i won't go it's not that great from shore.
[signature]
The bottom was sand and yes you should be able to use your tub I was in a bass boat.

I had to move around the brush, and rugged weedless.

Ask as you go in at Sandhollow the park people can tell you how to drive around to that side.

The bluegill was moving in, some as big as my hand.

Good fishing please CP&R.
[signature]
[reply]
[/reply]
[signature]
I don't know what happen.

I ran out of all of your lures I hope I get more before my next tournament, I don't like 6th place as much as 1st or 2nd.

Your baits are the best.
[signature]
i know how to get around there. been several times. as for bluegill, if you want somw big ones got to quail! i pulled about 15 out in 20 mins. for a little fish fry sunday nite. some as big as 10"!

i always practice C&R on all bass fishin.
[signature]