Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
question about vacuume sealers
I just picked up a vacuum sealer from costco for 99 bucks It came with some canisters and 2 rolls of bag material and a dispenser for the material. The question I have is this, am I waisting my money or are these things really worth it for packaging baite, food, etc. My main use for it will be for baite, but of course my wife will use it for other uses. Secondly does it make that much difference on how well the baite keeps without loosing it's "fresh" apeal for fish?
jed
[signature]
NOTHING BETTER. YOU WILL LOVE IT. KEEPS FISH FRESH FOR UP TO 5 YRS WITH NO BURN.
[signature]
Mine has worked extremely well. The only thing to watch for is excessive moisture. If you seal a fish, make sure to let it parially dry on the counter for a little bit. If there's too much moisture on the meat/food/etc, you'll compromise the machines ability to get a really good seal.
[signature]
Greatest invention since peanut butter and jelly. I use mine all of the time for storing bait, and temporarily storing fish to eat.
[signature]
I use mine when going to alaska and the coast to keep a pair of clothes dry. Also makes it easy to pack them into your daypack
[signature]
Dear Jed,
You gotta know it's magic. Didn't I share with some of mine. It's worth every dime. Here's a few tips: When sealing your bait make sure the moisture doesn't go in the motor area. A little in the chamber but then dry it right up or it flows into the motor and the sealer is history. So don't be stingy on your bag space a little extra room will help with moisture control. I have found the best way is to buy the bags not the roll cause it requires less sealing on your part. I usually use the quart size bag. For bait I cut them in half and it works great. Good Luck PIKEMAN
[signature]
[cool] Hey Jed...

You did just fine... I'm working on wearing out my third unit- nothing goes in the old ice box that hasn't first been vac-sealed, from fish to cutting up my own Elk and Deer. While I never use the canisters- (not sure why I would) I do go through bags by the boxful.

Keep up the "cold" fight... PB
[signature]
Before sealing fish or other meats, partially freeze them first. That way the vacuum sealer won't suck any juice out of them or crush them.
[signature]