Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
As I Started To Turn To Port...
Arrived at the dock on Monday, 11/11/02, at 5:45 AM. As I started to remove the center console cover on a client's boat, the sky opened up so that I quickly snapped it back on.

Everyone else arrived at 6:00 AM and we decided to eat breakfast (my second) at Jimmy's Restaurant in Fells Point. We entered just in time to watch and hear the Raven's Manic Monday group perform in front of a camera that had WJZ, Channel 13 stickers posted on both sides. The food and atmosphere were both outstanding in this small, but unique restaurant.

It was now 7:10 AM. The heavy rain was now a drizzle, so we headed for the boat with visions of catching some striped bass.

Our first stop was across Ft. McHenry Channel on the Patapsco River to fish some underwater mounds. After 3 drifts, one small Striper was not enough to keep us there long so I fired up the motors and headed for a point that usually produces some nice stripers. After being there for 10 minutes the drizzle changed into rain. I advised my client it might be a good idea to head in. I explained I wouldn't mind fishing, but his guests might not feel the same way. Therefore we headed back toward the marina located in the Inner Harbor.

As I started to turn to port at Ft. McHenry Point I said, "Lets fish one more structure before heading in". Everyone Smiled, while nodding yes. (I thought this shoal would be more productive.)

After the 2nd cast the pressure (on the guide-me) lifted. A chunky 17 1/2" striper was landed. Catching went on for the next 2 hours from water columns between 2' to 48'. The most productive lure was a Hopkins, Shorty, silver, 3/4-ounce jigging spoon, tied directly to the fluorocarbon leader. This spoon was jigged off the bottom. The water temperature was 54.6 degrees at this location.

The remainder of the day a large number of striped bass to 20" were caught from inside the Patapsco River and out on the Chesapeake Bay. The water temperature was 50.4 degrees on the Bay. Overall the Hopkins spoon and a Bass Assassin, 5", Assassin in Opening Nite rigged on a 1/2-ounce Pope's Shad jighead split the catch. No bluefish or trout were caught, but some nice white perch were kept for the dinner plate.

The most productive techniques were: vertical jigging of the bottom, casting and jigging the Bass Assassin in a variety of water columns.

Around 3:00 PM the sky started to clear as we started our way home after a very enjoyable and productive fishing trip.

Fishing Tip:
When fishing during the colder months, take extra safety precautions before and during your fishing trip. Have a plan to get help in the case of any emergency.
[signature]