Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henrys Fork/Stoneflies
I went Fly Fishing yesterday 5/19 at Vernon Bridge and it was great. I had never really seen Stoneflies before, but there was quite a few. There were a lot of bugs that were crawling out of the water and becoming adults. I am sure the fish would have been bustin the adults but the water is still quite off color. I decided to put on my Stonelfy nymph and fish it for a while. On my fifth cast I hooked into a nice fish that pumped my rod a few times before heading into the main current. I fought the fish for a long time because I had my four wieght. Finally tuckered out I brought in the 20 inch even Fat Rainbow. The fishes belly was full of Stones! It was even better because I caught it on a fly I tied. Anyway I quit after that fish with a Big Grin on my face and just studied some Stoneflies up close. I would guess you could get some real good adult fishing this weekend. Tight Lines!
[signature]
Here are the pictures.
[signature]
I fished up higher by the highway 20 bridge with stonefly nymphs. I did not have anytakers. There seemed to be plenty of adults and nymphs in the water but the fish were not going on them. Maybe I was late and they were already full? I asked several drift boats how they had done and it seemed to be a slow day all the way around.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for the update. My experience with fishing the hatch is that it seems like most days that the big flies are hatching the fish aren't overly agressive in taking the big dries. The days the the fish really key in on the big dries are often one of the most enjoyable day(s) of fishing for me that year.
[signature]