Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any good fishing spots down by Delta?
I have to head down there next week and am wondering if there is any place to wet my line nearby.
[signature]
Not terribly near by, but Oak creek is small but fishable and a little(ok,not so little) further away are the Deep Creeks or Pruess Lake - all fine fishing spots.
[signature]
Just don't try Sevier lake. [Tongue]
Being raised in delta, I know of quite a few places that are pretty good to fish. The issue right now is the water level. Oak creek is a great place to fish, but it's going to be very high and turbid for a while. If you're careful, you can catch quite a few even with the water that way.

With how low the water has been the last few years, I'm not sure of the fishing in either Gunnison bend or DMAD. Anywhere near the dam at gunnison bend should be decent fishing if the water has warmed up. channel cats and white bass (and carp) are them most likely catches. Depending on the amount of water comming out of the spillway, the pool directly below DMAD can have some good walleye fishing right now. I've caught some pretty good ones there even when it's running hard and fast. There are also a couple of ponds below DMAD, in the river-bottom directly west of the dam that had some bullheads and sunfish in them. Haven't fished there for a while though.

DMAD can have some good fish in it, but it can be spotty. The water level in both reservoirs should be up significantly by next week.

My dad owns a 40-acre piece that's next to the sevier just north of gunnison bend and we've had some good luck there even in high water drowning worms and carp-meat for catfish.

When exactly are you going to be there? I would love to have an excuse to get down there again. (My parents and lot's of family live there, but usually when I go to see them, I don't have time to fish.).

Also, call Delta Sports Center, and ask them what's working where. They're usually pretty good, but I've gotten some questionable advice there occasionally.

Matt.
[signature]
Don't knock sevier lake. After the flood in 83, we were catching cats and white bass on most of the west desert all the way out to, and in, sevier lake. The way things are going right now, that might happen again. But I hope not. DMAD dam gave way and so gunnison bend dam was blasted open. Hence all of the fish on the west desert. [sly]

Matt
[signature]
Really?!! Last time I was there we drove motorcycles all the way accross it and back (kind of hazardous because we ran into some very thick mud in some areas). Not exactly pretty scenery for fishing though. We did find some cool arrowheads.
I was just talking about 1983/1984. I know sevier lake was completely gone again by 1989. I think the center of it gets muddy again every couple of years when it's wet enough. There are lot's of arrowheads and occasional spear-heads and grinding stones out in that area, but not much fish. At least live ones.[Smile]
[signature]
I spend a lot of time in Delta and I have found that the spillway below DMAD is the best. I have also fished all up and down the seveir river. We catch mostly channel cats but have caught every other type of warm water species. I rig an egg sinker above a swivel, run 1 foot of leader to a piece of worm, chicken liver, or shimp. I have also found that a single hook works much better then a treble hook. Good Luck.
[signature]
Cowboy Up!
I am still pretty torn. I would prefer to fish a lake on my pontoon than deal with the high waters in a river.

Any of these better for pontoon action than the other? And what species are in these lakes/reservoirs?
[signature]
Maybe Yuba might be good from a pontoon . You know that there is some nice size bows in there if you can find them .
[signature]