Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubin' wet and smackin kitties (Lindon)
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I are heading to Idaho for a family get together this weekend. We were requested to bring some catfish fillets for a fish fry. Of course we agreed, and that meant a CATCHIN' trip, not just for funsies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Launched our tubes a little after 6 AM in Lindon Harbor. Water temp was 68, which is warm for the fish this time of year, but a tad cool on our waderless extremities. Our first "wet" tubin' trip of the year. Felt good when you got used to it (numb).[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pitched plastics along the bank on the way out of the harbor. I had one hit, a nice walleye that arranged its own release. Grumble grumble. The fish fry was off to a poor start. Neither TubeBabe or I had any other interested parties, so we "powered" out of the harbor entrance and headed north from the jetties.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I caught one small white bass on plastic near the mouth of the creek, and had a couple of bumps on spinners. Saw a wading angler working the channel over pretty good with no visible success. Water temp at the inlet was only 65. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We moved further north and into a "zone" where I had scored some cats before. TubeBabe got the action started with a chunky 22 incher. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10355;][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I paddled a hundred yards or so beyond her "honey hole" and sailed out a chunk of carp meat. Nothing for a while. Then, just as I decided to take a bite of my breakfast sandwich...you guessed it. Wham, zip (line), heave (hookset) and game on. My first cat was about 23" and 4.5 pounds, as were several of the others we ended up with.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The bite began at 9, while the lake was calm. In the next hour, I landed 5 chunky channels and two bullheads. TubeBabe landed 3 channels and fed two or three others. At 10 AM a sudden strong breeze from the west came up and made it impossible to present the baits as we had been doing. We worked at it, but we had already taken our last catfish.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10356;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I tried a few more casts around the creek inlet, with no responses. Started kicking toward the harbor entrance and noticed that the breeze had created a mud line. I told TubeBabe "There's gotta be a walleye here." There was...two actually. I landed an 18"er and lost one about the same size. Also got a chunky white bass that tried to make me think he was a walleye. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That was it. We once again worked around the edges of the harbor, with a variety of baits and lures, without getting anything else. I had TubeBabe shoot a couple of pics of me trying out my new Bimini cover on my Super Fat Cat. Very light and works great. Next comes the second deck, the grill and the entertainment console.[/#0000ff]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10357;]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=10358;]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As we were preparing our gear to load up in the vehicle, a young girl came over and admired our fish. Her comment? "You guys are just too cool." Yeah, we had been fishing without waders but I thought that was very perceptive of her.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
SWEET DAY. THANX FOR THE INFO I AM GOING OUT TO TEST THE BOAT REPAIRS DONE TODAY. THINK IM TAKING GEAR NOW.
[signature]
Glad to hear that you did better than the last trip. Two bad trips for TD in a row and we would have to wonder if the fish gods died. Now the in-laws will be happy when you get those crunchy-muchy fillets cooked up. Have fun in ID.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, Wednesday evening we couldn't get out of the harbor because of the W. It was just right for awhile this morning and we made the best of it while we could.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Thanks for the good wishes, and same back atcha. Have a fun but safe holiday.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Great report Pat. Good to see TB and you got into em again. Whats that I see on top in the basket? It would be one of those pesty EyeShiners would it? If so thanks once more for removing that dang thing from me fishin' hole. Boy those things can be pesty and I'm sure you can find a use for it. [Wink]
[signature]
[#505000][cool] Geez Pat with that fancy Bimini cover I'm sure it's only a matter of weeks before you outfit that thing with a sail and are looking forward to the wind!!! [Tongue][/#505000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yeah, Don, it's one of THEM. Glad to do my part to thin the herd. As strange as it may seem to some, I do actually find them toothsome on the table. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Really had some fun with your beloved whiskerfishies today. They put the line over their shoulders and hauled fins. Most of them took some line off the drag and I even had one that was studying to be a bass. He jumped clear out of the water. Mighta been one of those toothy critters after him.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]NO, NO, NO Gary, the Bimini top is a sun shade, not a sail. I didn't hoist it until we were back inside the harbor, out of the breeze. I got no plans to do another Kon Tiki thing.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you're jealous you can just put a big plastic bag over your head and pretend it's a Bimini thing. Might improve the scenery in your immediate area. Maybe even let you sneak up on the fish if they didn't know it was you acomin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Pat while you're at it, maybe you can add side curtains and mosquito netting. What is that thing weigh - 100 lbs or so fully loaded including yourself? [Wink]
Have a safe and enjoyable trip to Idaho, and don't forget the fish!
[signature]
Jeeze! Looking at the pictures ... Nice fishies but, I think we ought to change your name to ...

GEARDUDE

Get a load of your setup man! WOW! Very cool!
[signature]
[size 1]"100 lbs or so fully loaded including yourself?"[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Let me guess, you haven't fished with TD [/size][size 1](LOL).[/size]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The mosquito net was part of the reason for the frame. You can drop a net bag down over the whole thing. I'm planning to get some at the Army Navy store and finish up the pics for a post on the tubing board.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The tube weighs about 12 pounds. After that, add a 12 V SLA battery, sonar, net, basket, PFD, rod rack, 5 rods, knife, pliers, lip gripper, 2 bottles of fish scent, 4 to 6 lure boxes (with lots of jigheads)...and of course, the new Bimini cover. The latter only weighs in at about a pound. Oh, and don't forget the BFT sticker. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I'm guessing There is close to 300 pounds held up by the air chambers on my Super Fat Cat. Had to get something reflective of my own large status.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm not saying I wont eat Eshine, you know me better than that my friend. But if I have me ruthers, I'll take a couple big slabs of kittie and a health share of cornbread with honey butter.. Kick in a baked tater and a couple cobs of sweet corn smuthered in butter and boy, watch your fingers, get yer own fella!

Good stuff!

Btw Pat thats quite the ideeeer hangin' over yer head and it looks like it works out dandy. Now slap on a rudder and you'll be set to troll to an old honey hole I call Conlink. Many a K to be had my friend and whats more, I need someone to thin the darn Eshine a bit. Good on ya my friend! It looks sweet!
[signature]
Very nice Pat. Looks like it was a productive day. I'm sure your family will appreciate a little kitty fry.
[signature]
[#505000]If it's a paper bag I might even improve my looks (at least until the bag comes off anyway!! [Tongue][/#505000]
[signature]
I was trying to be kind and complimentary and then you begin "spilling the beans." Remember in the water everything weighs less than it does on land. With my tube permenantly attached to my frame, I doubt I would even need a float tube, except to hold all the tools of the trade. [sly]
Have you entertained the idea of marketing and selling that setup? I see business opportunities here, with your advertising and marketing expertise, and a good sales rep you could retire in a year! Let's not forget BFT is the perfect billboard to promote your enterprise.
[blush]
[signature]
The only thing missing is the recliner and mint julip with the bamboo umbrella mixer. Have you designed a moon roof yet for that thing - you know, for night fishing ? Or would that not work with your second story plans ?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I DO appreciate the positive feedback. I have been tinkering and tweaking my stuff for many years. I WILL be going commercial within the next year or so, with my own website, book (print and CD formats) and a complete online source for many different kinds of tubes, toons, yaks and accessories.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just for the record, I have been in sales and marketing for most of my life and am a recognized marketing consultant.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The big problem with trying to sell something in fishing is that you need to invest a ton of your own money first, in R&D, patents and copyrights, tooling up and manufacturing, etc. Then, once you are ready to go to market you find few people who will throw money at the end result. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While there are more than a few serious anglers who believe in reading and research, far more settle for the "get by"...and don't buy. There are a lot of creative types out there (like my own self) who simply build their own stuff around somebody else's idea.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do not want to get rich at the expense of my fellow fisherfolks. But, I would like to realize something for the time and efforts I have put in to help others avoid all of the prerequisite mistakes they would make if left to their own devices. I will be happy if I don't go much further in the hole, by sharing what I can with others who need my assistance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Believe me, I have conducted exhaustive research on the Internet, on all things "floatation fishing". There are many sites, but few are more than mere commercial enterprises, geared toward selling product. I hope to develop a one stop site, where anyone who visits is welcome, and where there are no dumb questions. In fact, most of the more common questions will be handled in a FAQ format, and more specific ones will be addressed on a personal basis.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yeah, it would be great to be able to make a living and doing what you like to do. Unfortunately, as many have found before me, running an enterprise dealing with fishing is a poor way to earn a fortune. The numbers just ain't there.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, If I could come out with some new fishin' hip hop (flip flop) sounds, or make a fishing related movie (A Tube Floats Through It), or some fishing "action figures" (Tubie Wan Kenobi)...maybe I could cash in on this stuff. If not, it's still fun.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, FH, look who's talkin'. The only thing missing on your tube or your toon are kennels for the hounds. I am guessing that you are fitting them for their own craft.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[#505000]You forgot Darth Waders, and Jabba the Cutt!![/#505000]

[#ff0000](Have we no shame?)[/#ff0000]
[signature]