Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican 5/25-5/26
Took Kayote's suggestion and went to Pelican. This is what I think I learned. Water is high and flooding shore stuff. Water temp. unknown since I didn't use my fish finder, but best guess is it felt like in the sixties. Daytime temp. high 70's to mid 80's with night temp. at about mid 40's. Fish are shallow. Bugs weren't bad but the mosquioes are starting to come on. My best luck was to find open areas amongst the reeds wading, but got difficult in deeper water. Float tube is difficult to get through the reeds to fish. Blues appear to spawning with some very big blues over nests. Leave em be. Pick the others, there are plenty. Shallow drift boats, cannoes, pontoons, etc. would probably be good but you've got to sneak up to the bass because they spook easy. There are some big bass in there! Lure of choice, for me, was a small pearl curly tail, but there's probably lots of others that would work well. Evening fishing is great but you can catch em anytime. Bass are more selective. Since the water is high and flooding the "stuff", you've got to get in the "stuff" to it to find em. Also, the bigger guys have a habit of going into the reeds and stripping off the lure on the reeds. All in all, I caught plenty of fish (blues and bass) and wore Sparky out.
Most interesting experience - found an egg that measure over 3 1/2 in., tip to tip, off the lake about 75 yds. What laid it?[shocked]
Most dissappointing - I got tired and couldn't fish like I wanted. Getting too old!![unsure] S**t!!!!!
Kayote - thanks for the help. Are you going to try the other area I told ya about at the other side of the state? [sly]
Leaky
Pelican egg - sounds like.
[signature]
possibly a blueheron egg also.
[signature]