Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report (5-27)
Had the chance to fish Willard today with BLM and Petty4life. It was a great day to be out at Willard. There was a light breeze blowing most of the day, which helped keep the snatch flies at bay. We saw Wiperhunter, MGB, Skippythelurker, and BigBuck333 out there as well. We did end up putting a few wipers in the boat, which was nice, as I didn't get any last year. All of the fish were caught trolling between 2.8 and 3.2 MPH. We caught them on a variety of lures, with rattling lures working the best. We picked up fish sporadically while trolling. Nothing really big, and a few 12 inch dinks were the fare of the day. It was a fun trip. We didn't put any eyes in the boat, but I think a couple other boats caught a few. Heck I even saw some dude using a down rigger! Now that was interesting! Thanks BLM.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Ya, it was a fun day. Wiperhunter2 and Wiperslayer put a hurtin' on those fish. Didn't you say 31, Curt? WOW! So did Bigbuck3333 and Skippythelurker. Heck, he quit fishing because he was tried of catching fish on the troll and started drifting! [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]That south dike between the south marina and the south west corner was smokin' with fish. Ya we robbed the cradle today though. Man, I hope we can find some bigger fish or 26" could win the tourney! [shocked] Thanks for coming TKB and Petty. Always glad to fish with you guys.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for postings TKB & BLM.
we want some pics,wheres the pics.[sly]
FNF[cool]
[signature]
You guys did better than I did. I fished from 7:00 - 12:30 and caught 1 walleye and 1 19" wiper.
[signature]
It seems a 19 inch wiper is a big wiper lately, do you feel like sharing the general area you were fishing Mike?
[signature]
[reply]
[size 1]do you feel like sharing the general area you were fishing Mike?[/size]
[/quote]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]What a question. You're killin' me, Curt! LOL! I'm sure he'll fill you in where the big wipers are with the tourney coming up! LOL! [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
LOL! Curt, I haven't been catching too many fish but I have caught and released a couple 19" wipers during the last week. I will tell you where they are Saturday at the fish fry. If you caught as many wipers as BLM posted I would bet there are afew 19 inchers mixed up with them. Where are you fishing to catch so many wipers?
[signature]
Thanks for the info - we're going to try WB Sunday morning for the 1st time this year.

Question...

Since we don't have a trolling motor (yet), I really doubt trolling with the outdrive will be slow enough. Maybe someone has some experience with this.

Are we better off just casting/retrieving???

Thanks,
W2D
[signature]
As for the most part, the outdrive will get you pretty close. A good thing to do is get a 20-30' lenght of rope and tie a 5 gallon bucket to it, then drag that bucket behind the boat. It acts as a modified trolling plate. This will usually get you down to just over 2MPH at idle, so you can just bump it up a little from there to get close to 3MPH. Works pretty good. Good luck.
[signature]
Ahhhh, the old sea anchor trick!

I should have remembered that. Still saving some $$$ for a decent bow-mount trolling set-up as I'm truly a basser at heart, but I got a bucket!

Today's mission is to figure out where to mount some rod holders, as Mrs. W2D doesn't want to be hand-draggin' all day.

So we're off... Have bucket, will troll!

Thanks,
W2D
[signature]
skip had a couple 22 inch wipers and a 2 huge walleys he made fun of mine and woodpiles wipers said they looked like crappies they did compared to the hogs he had think he caught the big ones by the lite pole.
[signature]
Yup..caught the big eyes by the light pole on a silver shad..should of took pictures of them before releasing them..oh well. when you have a boat full of kids there dosnt seem to be much time for reelling in fish let alone fotos! Had a great day tho..caught lots of fish and the family had a great time..it was nice chinnen with ya all on the radio too..that was fun..cyall next time..Man that beats work doesnt it?[Wink]
Skipper.
[signature]
Sorry Mike, I forgot about the tournament. Just to show you my good intentions, here is a picture of the lure we were using yesterday to catch all those wipers.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I never would of thought you were a vindictive man, WH2...[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
That solid black lure must have been the ticket yesterday! I wonder where I can pick one up?
[signature]
LOL. Thanks for sharing your secret lure with us Curt. The least I could do is tell you where I have been fishing.

I caught them in the inlet and in the south marina.
[signature]
ya that was good fishen mike...thanks for the info!!!![sly][angelic]
[signature]
i never realized that voided out black color would work on the wipers. ill have to try that out of my photoshop program on them next time.
[signature]