Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 5/27
I played hookie from school yesterday to go up with my dad and play hookie with some big cutts on the Berry. We weren't disappointed. We started off early at the Soldier creek side. We fished a couple seperate points to the north/east side. The final one we stoped at is where we caught the fish there. The fish were boiling the chubs up in there! It was truely an amazing sight! We got a few of them casting right into the boils. I got mine on a little red and black gitzit that kinda looked like a shinner. My dad and brother got thier's on red sided shinners. We wound up wanting a few more than 3 fish each, so we packed up and went over to the Strawberry side. We walked down to our favoite bay, which is like a mile hike. But, the fish were there. And hungry! I started off casting a black and yellow maraboo jig. I got 2 cutts and a big fat chub 12" long(which is now cut up for kitty bait in my freezer) before I lost the hook on a snag. So I rerigged with my sole green foxxy jig. I casted out, and WHAMO! 20" cutt. I quickly released him, and threw back out. Two little twitches, and WHAMO again! This time the fish kept on going. After fighting him for about five minutes, I had him within 30 feet. And this fish was huge! I saw him once right ontop of the water and knew I had something special. Only problem was he went on another drag burning run and snapped my 8# line.[Sad][Sad][Sad] I've caught some big trout in my life, but I've never had anything like that rainbow on. I bet my life that he was 10#'s or better. Possibly 12. My dad had a 24" cutt on a stringer right there and that fish, just from that one little look, dwarfed that big cutt. After that I switched to powerbait and caught a couple more.
All in all it was a great day at the Berry. All the fish we caught(except the chub and my dad's keeper cutt) were in the slot between 17-21". I was a little disappointed to see the amount of chubs, but with 10# trout roaming around their days are numbered. I know for sure next weekend I'm walking with my tube clear down there to try for that big bad boy again.
[signature]
You always seem to get some big fish on . I wish i would of had a day like yours . I went today fishing from shore and right by the Bay marina I hooked a bright colored bow close by the boat ramp first thing this morning . It was only fat 22"er but It was hooked jaw male with a lot of color . Bummed me out I left my camera in the truck . Still swimming . Seen lots of minnows being chased into shore . Bows are really aggressive right now and fighting mad when hooked . I lost another bow I hooked up on I seen chasing minnows close to shore at Soldier Creek .
[signature]