Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Premier Local Trip 6/1
Hey there guys,

Rode the 3/4 day boat Premier today. Danny and Jimmy ran the boat today with Mikie on deck and Bill in the galley (got my smelt-sandwich). We were again able to get some anchovies you could almost put a Saddle on and some slimy characters .... er .... sardines on our way out.

Lots of radio chatter on log barracuda very early in the morning as we headed out so we stayed local for the slimsticks and bass today. I think everybody had the same idea as no less than 10 local sporties were formed up to comprise the San Pedro armada. I was supprised Homeland Security didn't come and see if there were any landing craft heading for the beach!

The barracuda seem to be 'up' early in the morning for a good bite then 'turn off' just as quickly. You got to get 'em while the gettin' is good. Get 'em we did with some very nice grade of 6-7-8 pounders who were more than happy to hit the iron. Mustard or yellow and green or white seemed to be really hot..... later turning to blue and white. I got a few after trying three different jigs, anchovies, sardines, begging, crying, and finally praying. Hoped there would be a late afternoon encore, as there often is with barries in past seasons but ...... not today.

Went calico bass fishing for the rest of the day with a nice pick on the sportcoats at the various stops we made. I personally like the idea of not hitting a spot too hard ..... then moving on to see what grade of fish another spot will provide. Flylined for the bass and they bit a little better on the anchovies .... or was that just my predjuce.

I still stayed with my usual Carolina rig, a 1/4 ounce egg sinker, 4 feet of 15 pound test fluro and a number 4 size owner circle hook for bait. Didn't do very well with swimbaits so I went back to bait pretty quick.

Anglers who wanted fish pretty much walked off the boat with some nice fillets.

Great weather, boat/crew, and fishin' buddies.

JapanRon
[signature]
Excellent Report!![cool]

It won't be long before we have some logs up in the Channels. They are already to the central SMB area. I hope they hit County line soon.

We already started to get Sandies around there. No hawgs yet but some good N plenty mix.

BTW, a little bird told me you might be interested in the Channels on the 20th. PM me if you want to set something up. We should have just enough to get the boat out with the 15 minimum.[cool]
[signature]