Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
utah lake

well fished utah lake today. went to american fork boat harbor. im Confused if this is the same as the lindon boat harbor or if they are different. we fished for 2-3 hours. cuaghtr more fish than i could count missed more strikes than that. good thing is my gf had her best day fishing yet. so it was fun. largest was around 12 or 13 in. nothing big but fun. watch some guys catch one every cast. i am guessing they are tipping their jigs will a wax worm or something. picked up a couple of crappie as well. a question for anyone is: are these white crappie? because they sure didnt look like the black crappie im use to catching. they were right on the bank 20 feet or farther nothing. fairly aggressive but some strikes were real subtle. all in all a good day on the lake. my first whitie and perhaps my first white crappie if thats what they are. i was using some new lures i bought. the true motion lures. they seemed to like them.but given the situation they seemed to like anything that looked edible haha
[signature]
Hey Enich,

American Fork Boat Harbor and Lindon Boat Harbor are not the same place. The Lindon Boat Harbor is directly west of the Geneva Steel Plant. Congratulations on catching a fish that I haven't caught.

Kent
[signature]
Lindon boat marina is behind Geneva Steel plant . It is tricky getting to it but stay north of the plant and head towards the lake . It is near the dump . Sounds like you had a blast . I never have been to American Fork marina , but have heard it can be good . tight lines
[signature]
Go to this site [url "http://www.utahcdc.usu.edu/rsgis2/Search/SearchVerts.asp"]http://www.utahcdc.usu.edu/rsgis2/Search/SearchVerts.asp[/url] look up white crappie to see if it is what you caught. The DWR says white crappie are extreemly rare in Utah. My guess would be that the crappie you caught were just a lighter color due to the murky water of Utah Lake.
[signature]
[center][Image: MESS3307CustomImage0084488.jpg][/center][center]now here is a picture of a crappie caught by utah's "resident removed" kinzie[/center] [center]this is a black crappie[/center] [center][Image: white_crappie.jpg][/center] [center]this is a white crappie [/center] [center]note the distinct color variations white crapie will have speckled backs rather than the dark back in pic one of the balck crappie.[/center] [center][Image: white_bass.jpg][/center] [center]this little critter has on many ocation been mistaken for a white crappie for its color on the water but when compaired next to the real thing you see the distinct differences[/center] [center]this is a white bass also located in utah waters[/center][url "http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/images/fishing/fishimages/white_bass.jpg"][/url][url "http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/images/fishing/fishimages/white_crappie.jpg"][/url]
[signature]
i swear that is what we caught. that picture on the link looks just likke it. i took some pictures so when i get them back ill post them see if anyon else can make heads or tails of it. i was surprised cuz i thought they were white bass at first. then my gf caught the first and i looked at it closely and had the crappie distinct belly fin. i just cant tell if it was a black or white crappie. they were really lighted colored that is for sure. but the markings on the white from the picture look like the ones i caught if i rmemeber right. they say they planted them in gunnison bend so i dont see how they would end up utah lake if that is the case. thanks for the info
[signature]
I have caught some crappie in Utah lake that have the really dark coloring of the black crappie, but the majority of them were all light colored, as Xman described. I agree with Fishnate, about the murky water in Utah Lake that contributes to their light color. Another name for crappie is "Papermouth" due to their very thin flesh around the lip area.

Kastmaster
[signature]