Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard maiden voyage
Took the new (2003, new to us) boat out to Willard today about 9am-ish for the maiden voyage, the crowds were non-existant.

Cruised around for half an hour scouting places to fish but everyone was spread out, so we just rigged up the trolling lines and got after it - smack dab in the middle of the lake. Five minutes later the 1st wiper was in the boat, 10 minutes later the wife was hooked up!

Missed quite a few, but in about an hour we had plenty for dinner. Time to let boys - including me - get in a little wakeboarding and waterskiing, probably annoying the other fishermen.

Spent about four hours on the lake, had lunch, caught some fish, played in the water - basically had a great time!!!

Next week we're leaving the young 'uns at home and try to get more acquainted with the wipers.

It's great to be a boat-owner again (3rd times a charm).

W2D

BTW, nobody warned me about those spiny #&*$@*#& wipers. I've got battle scars!!!
[signature]
Sure was a good day to be on the water. I know it was a little too cool for me to jump in and play! Good that you could get the new boat out though.
[signature]
Really was a comedy of errors as far as the fishing yesterday. I guess even the village idiot gets a bright idea once in a while.

No rod holders yet, so the rods were propped up here-and-there with tackle bags and ice chests bracing them. Drags set ultra low so we didn't have any equipment losses.

No trolling motor yet, so we're cruising along with the outdrive JUST engaged. Had to be doing at 4-5 mph, maybe more, but it must have been a day when the wipers were itching for a chase.

Forgot the net, so we had to bounce 'em into the boat. This was a bit touchy since all the baitcasters were rigged with #6-#8 line after a walleye trip back east.

1st time fishing wipers, so we were just winging it. I expected more double hook-ups after reading around here that these are schooling fish, but every hook-up and hit was a single.

After owning a bass boat, this one is a domestic compromise - with your's truly doing most of the compromising. Mrs. W2D wanted more creature comforts. Still a bit of work and $$$ needed to turn this family runabout into a functional fishing platform.

D-Mack, you ready to fish!?!?

W2D
[signature]
I'm ready. I just need to come up with some time...
Nice job on the wipers.
[signature]