Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry
The kids were at the high school state chapionship game and snowboarding at the canyons today. So I headed up to Strawberry for a couple of hours. The fog was thick and heavy over the whole lake, it did not burn off until after noon. The roads are icey and snowed pack past Strawberry Bay (the end of road mait) Especially in the shaded areas. There is no ice left remaining any where on the lake.

Fishing was great! I started at Horse Creek (finished there also) tossing brown and black wolly buggers. Hooked my 1st rainbow since May today. Not very big but it's a start. Hooked up on the brown wolly. After several more cast and no takers I switched to a double renegade and brown wolly. Within minutes I had a nice cut on. Caught one more then nothing for about 20 minutes. At that point I went to some bait (minnow and nightcrawler) while I had a sandwhich and a cup of coffee.

A word of caution to those who might fish the south side. While I was squated down eating that sandwhich I felt something watching me. I kept looking around but saw nothing there. About halfway thrugh the sandwhich the hair on the back of my neck stood stright up. I jumped up and spun around, I still didn't see anything. But I kept looking at the sage and grass. Then I saw it .... a black tip of a tail swishing just above the sage about 50 feet away. I knew I was looking at a cougar tail. I grabbed a couple of rocks hollered REAL loud tossed the rocks at where I saw the tail, and up jumped and scampered away a female cougar. I have to say it took an hour for my heart to slow back down. From that point on I kept one eye on the brush and spent most of the rest of the trip in waste deep water.

Well they were no longer hitting flies, they didn't like my bait, so I tried some spinners, mepps, eagale claw, assorted sz and colors. No takers. I broke out the suoer doupers and cast masters, still no takers. Then I went to some bass stuff. They didn't like the raplas, one hit a top plug but he wasn't nothing to brag about. Then I tried this finesse vibe lemon shad. Its made by Renegade and sold at Wal-Mart. I think I paid 2 bucks for it. Well about every third cast I would hook up. This little lure just sucked them in! I ended up with 9 for the day and was running about an hour late. I got there around 10 in the morning and was planning on leaving no later than 1 as I had promised my daughter I would go shopping with her. It was now 2:30 PM and I was still fishing. I caught the heavyest cut of the season on that shad. It wasn't the biggest I've caught, but it was really thick across the back, not the usuall skinny Cuts I've gotten use to. I spooled the new reel with 4 pound test and he took it to the limit. When I got hm close enough to pick him up (my pretend landing of this fish) I looked him over and then cut the line at the hook. He was exhausted, just laid there on his side. So I took him by the tail and rocked him gently back and forth until he perked up and swam off. So if yer going to the Berry fishin is still good, today was a perfect day no wind calm waters and warm sunny skies (after the fog lifted). Got the scar of my life, caught a great fish, and had a pleasent time enjoying being out in nature.
[signature]
Oh man! You got my heart going now. You know you never see a cougar in a good situation. Most of the time you dont stumble onto a cougar and they dont attack from being surprised, they are planning on eating you and will fight to the death. Good thing you didnt run or we would have to call you missing instead of road. Wow! Hey thanks for the fishing report too.
thats a wild story road. i have had that experience twice. the feeling of being hunted and nothing until out of the corner of your eye you see something out of the ordinary and then you realize what just happened. needless to say it wakes you up real quick and quite frankly scares the hell out of ya. is the road open to soldier creek side?
[signature]
Holy Cow!!!!!!! Thx Road, I will start carting my 12 guage with me when I hit the Berry from now on!

And a great report on Berry fishing.
[signature]
Xman the road around the Berry is still open. I would not want to take my car though. It is now a four wheel drive road. Snow packed and icy in places and muddy in others (depending on time of day) As I'm sure you know it is not maintained and is now a one lane road (tire tracks in the snow pack)

All the years I've been going to Strawberry I have never seen anything like that. And it does give you a new respect for what is out there. I talked with the Forest Sevice and they were unaware that any cats (other than bobcats) lived in the area. But she was with cubs and I worry about those people who spend less time outdoors than some of us. As ar as being scared that puts it mildly. The fear didn't start until after she scampered off. And the walk back to my truck had me shaking wen I got there. That mile through the brush just had my nerves on end. I really don't think there is anything to worry about. It was just one of those freak encounters that life tosses your way.

Hey X do you drive an older Ford Ranger tan/brown in color?
[signature]
no i drive a white jeep cherokee with oversized tires. i know what you mean about the fear. but i have to say in a strange way your real lucky to have that experience it doesnt happen very often haha.
[signature]
That is some story Road ,now you got me looking around to see what is there . I was debating weather to go to the Berry or not . Finally left around noon . Stopped by the middle Provo to try my luck on the Browns . No luck they just followed my jig and teased me . So off to the Berry . I arrived at the ladders ,not many people out today . Made a dozen casts and nothing tried another color and still nothing . Packed up and went to Soldier Creek marina , made a couple dozen casts by the ramp and nothing . I did manage to hook a rod and reel off the bottom . It was froze up but I left it by the ramp in case anybody is missing it . anyway I drove down where the camp grounds are ,and hiked down to the lake . First couple of spots no hit so i kept moving and finally found a honey hole . By now it is 4:00 pm and I nail 7 in the last hour I was there . I haven't nail a Rainbow in about 4 years there and today I caught 3 . I caught 1 20 " cutt that was fat cutt . All the others were 14 to 16" . It was quite the ride home in the blizzard . No ice at all .but where was everybody I only counted 5 people at Soldier Creek and that is counting the guy in the boat and me . tight lines everyone
[signature]
I'm glad you finally hooked up. Seems like DWR's request to release cutts has been sucessful. There are an awful lot of them. The bow population seems to be dwindling though. I caught one in early spring and then a little one friday (looked like a hatchery plant). Friday I was the only fisherman at Horse Creek. But since you have to walk in a long way that didn't surprise me. That is one of the reason I fish that spot. Haws point had about half a dozen folks from the outhouses to the springs to the south. A few boats, one tuber and that was it. It was about the same at Chaplains point. I talked to one boat fisheman who said he was taking Bows at around 40 feet trolling. I think he must have had his depth wrong. If I remember right Strawberry is dead below 20 feet (no oxygen), not the same for Solider Creek. I have never figured out why there is that difference. If any of you know how about sharing. Well I'll be pounding the snow again tomorrow and trying my hand at the Beryy. I am still after that 15 pound rainbow that has my name on it. I think at this point just a nice bow would make me happy. To all you jig fisherman a big thanks. I'm starting to get the hang of these thing, way different than flies they are. This trip I will be tossing mostly tubes and the likes. I figured if they liked that lemon shad they must like everything[Wink]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I think I'll just stick to boats. Cats don't like water![/size][/font]
[signature]
If Strawberry has no oxygen below 20 ft. I tell you what, I sure have caught alot of fish that don't need to breath. I think you heard wrong have a good one Road and please don't take offense.
[signature]
Hey Skeeter no offense taken. I have been away from Utah for a number of years and things may have changed on the lake. According to the fish n map I picked yp yesterday it states that it is still a dead lake below 20 feet. So now I'll get hold of the guy in Vernal who's in charge of that body of water. I wondered how they put those salom in there if it was dead. Now i am more Confused than ever, don't ya jut hate getting older LOL
[signature]
Hey Skeeter,

I talked with Jim in Vernal about Strawberry he was surprised that I had any knowlage of the lake being dead. He told that after the 1990 poisoning of the lake to remove unwanted non-game speices that was no longer the case. He also said the biologists in charge are guessing as to why the change. They suspect that combining the two lakes and allowing the Berry to be flushed (what ever that ment) allowed the removal of the chemicals that were leaching the oxygen from the lake. Thus the introduction of kokanee to the ecosystem. They are usually found between 20 and 40 feet. So you are correct that the lake is alive and well at all depths. Nice to have a place where you can learn about you favorite fishing hole. Thanks for the update Skeeter.
[signature]