Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bluegill Fishing-Winder & Twin Lakes
Sorry this is a late post. I have not been around the computer lately. Been getting snowed on up in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. I did not fish up there. Just doing the tourist loop with friends for a few days.

Two weeks ago we went bluegill fishing at Winder with good success. We caught many good sized bluegill in the 7-8" range. The bluegill were not spawning at that time and the water temperature was still much too cold for them to be on their beds for most of the day. When the sunlight came through the clouds and the water heated up a few degrees then the fish did start to move in a little. We caught most of the bluegill on small nymphs, but we also caught a few on sponge spiders and other rubber legged creatures.

The second day we went to twin lakes for a few hours. We did find some isolated pockets of bluegill, but we did not feel like they were really spawning yet. The ones at twin lakes were a little bigger and fought much harder on average. The Twin Lakes bluegill were something like 8-9". It was really fun to get them to hit small poppers on top. For people who like topwater flyfishing their is nothing as far as constant action is concerned as good as bluegill fishing. I love seeing the water explode as those little slabs suck the popper down. We ended up with around 70 bluegill from Twin Lakes in 4 hours.

Over the course of the two days I also caught 5 largemouth bass. I was not fishing for them. I only cast to them when I saw them rise nearby. Then I would hit them with the popper and they would explode on those. They ran between 10-13", but were fun for something different. I may make one more trip down there this season so I will keep you updated. Good Luck everyone.

Windriver

I will post pictures when I get them developed.
[signature]
Thanks for the update. I'll have to get out and do some bluegill fishing sometime soon. It is always fun to watch several bluegills site under your dry fly for a moment before one decides to suck it under.
[signature]