Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lower Provo midday foray for the white bass spawn
A coworker and I snuck out for a couple hours at lunch today to see if it was white bass spawn time in the Provo River. We headed down to the usual spot where we usually find them every year spawning -- near the little shack where the DWR try and get June Suckers to spawn and take their eggs (about a mile above the lake). The river is still running extremely high -- much higher than any in recent memory. We tried several holes and eddies with spinners and jigs, trying to hook any stray browns as well as locate the spawning white bass. No luck whatsoever. The area has changed quite a bit there in the last couple of years. Lots more trees have grown in around some of the openings and there are fewer places to fish from the shore. You wouldn't even think about trying to wade in either if you valued your life. The water is still very cold from the runoff too. No sign of any white bass yet. I'm sure the cooler weather combined with lots of rain and the high snowmelt has delayed the spawn a bit.

There were two guys down there who I watched pull up a small walleye maybe 16 inches long or so. They were both casting small chartreuse curly tail jigs.

Drove out on the airport dike to check it out as well. The water is almost up to the dike edge, but not quite and it's very shallow and choked with weeds. There's no way you can fish off the dike at least not yet this year. It was still nice to get out and get a break from the grind and get out in the outdoors though.
[signature]
[size 1]Quote from CatMan - "It was still nice to get out and get a break from the grind and get out in the outdoors though."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Dont you mean fish from somewhere other than the pond at work?[Wink][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]Keep us informed Kevin.[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1][/size]
[signature]
yeah, well that pond holds some real trophy buglemouth bass in there so don't knock it! [cool][Tongue][sly][shocked][Tongue]
[signature]
Thanks for this report. I was going to go down there myself later this week and see if the bass were coming up the river to spawn. You saved me the trip. I am still interested in going once the fish are there, so please keep us informed.
[signature]
Im not knockin' ya man. Im just jealous I dont have a cool place to fish right at my work.
[signature]
Ha ha. lol. I wonder what the rest of the computer geeks think when they see me out there busting out the ugly stick and casting out into the muck out there! Good thing I don't care what they think![cool]
[signature]
I just fished the same area yesterday. I caught 4 small browns using spinners. I only fished for about an hour though. I didn't see any white bass either.
white bass, walleye and channel cat are been catch out side south dike right at the curve to the end. Using 3 inches grub green and orange. Good luck
[signature]
Hey blueheron thanks for the tip. I think I'll head out at lunch again next week.
[signature]