Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
what think you
so what do you think would small bluegill about 3" make good catfish bait ( dead of course )

SOUND OFF
[signature]
[#505000]Correct me if I am wrong, but Bluegill are game fish and cannot be used for bait as I understand it.[/#505000]
[signature]
I'm sure it would make good bait, but you might get some crazy law enforcement guy....cough...Gary....cough, to write you a nice ticket. I don't think it would be worth it, especially if you only caugth a mudder off of it.

When do you leave for Alaska?
[signature]
Im sure that the cat fish would love them but I do believe that it is illegal to use them as bait. Check the proclamation dont think any gamefish are legal for bait except whites at utah lake and perch in any lake they are found in.
[signature]
are not white bass a game fish ? and they are used for bait
[signature]
i'll check into that for sure thanx
[signature]
In Arizona they are used for cats regularly. Dead or alive. I am sure if the laws were changed they would be bait of choice.
[signature]
When I was a kid, small, live or dead panfish (sunfish,bluegills,crappie) were commonly used as bait for flatheads, blues, and channels. But, back then, and in that area, there were no regulations and no-one even thought of a needing permission(a license) to fish.
[signature]
Chris,

You are right about white bass being a gamefish and could be used for bait but only in Utah Lake. As for the other gamefish like bluegill, crappie, etc., it is illegal for them to be used as bait, but I've seen people use them for bait, especially at Utah Lake. Personally I wouldn't risk it.
[signature]
i'll have to pick up a proc and check it out i surly wouldn't use them if illegal
[signature]
ya ok whatever chris![sly][pirate][Tongue]
[signature]
I'm sure that bluegill would make good catfish bait (if they were legal to fish with in Utah -- which they are not), because I caught an 83 inch sturgeon on a chunk of bluegill back in May of this year.
[signature]