Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bloomington Lake
Anyone know anything about this lake? I did a search on the internet and found that it has fish and is very COLD. I also learned that it is a popular swimming hole for South Eastern Idaho folks. It is about a 30-40 minute drive from my place at Bear Lake and I thought I might go check it out this week while on vacation.
[signature]
I took a quick look at Bloomington Lake last fall but didn't take time to fish it. The lake looked like it had an algae bloom last fall and wasn't the clear blue color others have told me it was. From the parking lot there is a short hike up a hill and then back down to get to Bloomington Lake. If your in half way decent shape the walk shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. You can reach the parking lot with a car but just like any other dirt road it can be a little rough at times. Recently the F&G has been planting the lake with triploid rainbow fry. In the past the F&G planted cutthroats in Bloomington Lake. The fishing might not be spectacular but I'm sure if you take time to go up there you won't regret it.
[signature]
I went up on Friday, man what a beautiful drive. Got to the gate and it was closed. I decided to hike in but when I came to a sign that said 2.5 miles I decided my worn out old back could not make the treck and I turned around. My kid and wife enjoyed exploring the river on the way back to Bloomington and my dog got his feet wet a few times as well. What an absolutely awesome place, can't wait till they open the gates up so I can see the actual lake.
[signature]