Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How is fishing from the shore at Bear lake, for macks?
I would really like to go to Bear Lake to fish, I'll have to see if I can get things worked out this weekend. How is the fishing from the shore. I'm not familiar with it so some pointers would help.

Thanks AFDan
[signature]
From what I've seen in years past, since the spawn is over the macs are spread out pretty good for the winter. Temps are suitable for them to be anywhere in the water column. Last year I was fishing at Cisco Beach in late Nov. (after the mac spawn) for whitefish and these two guys were tossing bait from shore with water filled casting bubbles and they had one mac about 10 lbs and two cutts of about 5 and 9 lbs. so I know they can be caught from shore. So far I've only caught them from shore during the spawn but I'm going to give it a shot this weekend too.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Fishing from shore can be productive at times as stated in the previous post but I don't recommend it if you've got a choice. Longlining can be pretty effective if you've got a way to get your line out from shore, like a canoe of float tube. The east side is probably the best place to fish the shore from. If you go to Cisco Beach and fish straight off the ranger station you can cast to 60 ft or deeper because it drops off so fast. I've caught good fish right there through the ice. Cisco is good bait but some sucker or carp meat does pretty good too. You can chuck iron but be prepared to lose some if you catch the rocky bottom. You would be surprised the hardware my nephew brought in one summer day just snorkeling around Cisco Beach. Good Luck![/size][/font]
[signature]