Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARIZONA CONNECTION
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey California. TubeDude here. I'm the new moderator for Arizona. Used to live in Californy...from San Diego to Sacramento. Fished just about every lake, stream and salt water spot in the state. Some of it I miss. Some I don't.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I know when I lived in Southern Cal, it was sometimes tough to get info on what was going on in Arizona...either for an upcoming tournament or just a family outing. If you ever need any input over here...I'm your guy.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I've lived in Arizona since '83...first in Tucson and now in the Phoenix area. I'm on a first name basis with most of the waters over here...what's left of them in the drought. I also spend some time on the Sea of Cortez...in a float tube. If I can't get the info you need from my personal database, I know who to call or where to go to get it.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]We're trying to build up the Arizona site. There has been no moderator and very few posts. We have a lot of serious fishermen in Arizona...and more than a few non-serious. Just a friendly howdy to open the doors to a little friendly interchange. You might see my name on a few posts in the California forum too. Dang. There goes the neighborhood.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey, Booyaa! Did you get any helpful info from your post on the Utah site (where I also hang out once in awhile)? Most of the "tanglers" in Utah know very little about the big trout available in Southern Cal. Hope you knock em dead at Niguel.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hello TubeDude,

I was meaning to swing by and throw you a welcome at the Arizona boards, WELCOME. I know you've been at the boards for a while now but its great to have you moderating. Do you ever catch Big Tuna Bills Rod and Reel Radio show out your way?
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hey, Mike. Thanks for the welcome...and the opportunity. Hats off to all who have made the Big Fish Tackle site the best in the country. I am impressed. Hope to be able to contribute to the ongoing success and participation.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Sorry, I haven't had the pleasure of tuning in to Big Tuna. I guess I probably should. Might be a good way to get some publicity for the Arizona forum. I've done some radio and newpaper stuff myself, so maybe I can maneuver some air time.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Special applause to the California board. You guys are makin' it happen. A lotta fun, huh?[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Anybody wanna talk tubin.? I'm just finishing up a book on over 40 years of float tubes, kick boats and pontoons...fresh and salt water. If anyone wants free chapters, in Word document form, come on over to the Arizona board and give me your email address. I'll send you a list of chapters and a summary. You can order from the catalog. No charge.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I'm amazed at all the float tube clubs that have popped up in California since I last lived there (in Sacramento). I used to have the whole delta and most of the bass lakes mostly to myself. And then there's the time I got pulled twenty miles down the Sacramento by a sturgeon.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Hello TubeDude,

I'm sure BigTunaBill would love to have ya on the show, his web site is at [url "http://63.196.82.44/RodandReel/"]http://63.196.82.44/RodandReel/[/url] and if you talk to him tell him and Stan that Mike says Hello!

Yes your right there is some great float tuber clubs out here, I think a big conentration of them will be out at Laguna Lake for the trout opener, if I'm not mistaken they may even have a float tubing tourny happenin out there coming up, (hey BOOYAA, Isn't that what Bobbie the owner was saying).

The book sounds like a real great read! If you ever get that book published let us know we would be happy to promote it for ya! If you find yourself out this way in the future let us know perhaps we could put a doghnut trip together!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Tube Dude,

Welcome and thanx for stopping in.

We will definitely take you up on your offer of insight into fishing Arizona. I wont ask about fishing Havasu (lol).

I am primarily a saltwater fisherman, but having LN Lake just down the street is pretty enticing. I am working on getting more knowledgable about freshwater gear, locations etc.

If someone were to ask you about purchasing a Tube what would you recommend?

Looking forward to Friday we will keep you posted.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TUBE DUDE!
[signature]
[Smile][font "Times New Roman"][size 3] Thanks for the cordial welcome. You don't know me well enough to know that a simple question on float tubes can turn into a "War and Peace" reply. How to choose and set up a float tube takes 19 pages in my new book. Be happy to email you the whole chapter if you'd like. It includes adding rod racks, sonar, fish baskets and all the goodies. Also goes into waders, boots and fins. In the meantime, you might want to take a look at [url "http://www.thefloattubestore.com/"]http://www.thefloattubestore.com/[/url] .[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]It would seem like your new pond close by has got you thinking about spending more time in fresh water. There's something to be said for a quick "brain broom" after work...or whenever you can get away. I too like the briny, but I'm not too proud to wrestle with almost anything with fins...even if it ain't from the ocean.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]There are several considerations in buying a flotation fishing system (my term for float tubes and the like). 1. Budget 2. Type of water and/or species you will be hitting most 3. How much room you have in your vehicle. 4. Portability (for carrying more than a short distance) and 5. Your size, weight and physical condition.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Over the years, while doing research for my intended book, I acquired and tested almost every kind of system available. I used round tubes for years, and still have a few. Tried U-boats, but other than easier entry found them no great improvement. Some were actually less comfortable and harder to fish from than round tubes..[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]In recent years we have seen an explosion in the types and quality of pontoons, and their hybrid "mini-pontoons"...also called kick boats. For big water or moving water, I recommend a good pontoon craft. The addition of oars provides additional locomotion, even though they add weight...and something else upon which to foul lines. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I am currently kicking around in a Kennebec, by Trout Unlimited. It has two large air chambers plus another as a back rest and stabilizer for the two sides. I like it because it floats my 6'3" and 250# high in the water, especially with the elevated seat. This provides better visibility, casting and line control. It also keeps my lower extremities warmer in winter waters.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]There are several good candidates in this class. My next purchase is going to be a FAT CAT...by Outcast. I have tried one and love the design and the flotation. I don't like the $350 price tag, but that's still less than the lowest end pontoon craft costs. And, it's less than a monthly payment on a new boat.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]If I am able to launch within a short distance of where I park my rig, and I have room to carry it fully assembled for action, I vote for a pontoon. If I have to hike in a ways, I may carry a mini-pontoon. If I am hiking several miles into a remote lake in the Sierras, I will take the lightest round tube I can find...with a vinyl bladder, rather than a heavier truck tire inner tube.[/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Hope this helps. Before you try to launch your craft the first time, let me give you some guidance on launching and beaching too. Then again, let me know where and when you plan to undergo this float tuber's rite of passage, and I will buy a ticket to watch it.[/size][/font]
[signature]