Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our best day at Willard this year
I had some work to do at my church this morning so Wiperslayer and I did not get to south marina until a little after 1 pm. We noticed Old_Coot cleaning some fish as we were getting the boat ready. As I walked over to find out where the hot spot was I saw Petty4life and Bearclaw were there also. After talking to the guys for a few minutes and getting the low down on where the fish were, we hit the water. We were on the water around 1:30pm and got off around 7pm, water temp was 69*. The first fish in the boat was a 14 inch walleye the next 33 were wipers than ranged in size from 13" to 20". We were trolling at 2.8 mph fish finder speed and we caught all the fish on Producer type lures. The wind changed direction three times while we were there but it keep the bugs off and we only got sprinkled on for a few minutes. I thought it would be hard to beat the day we had over a month ago when we caught 31 wipers but surprise, surprise, surprise. It was a great afternoon on the bay. WH2
[signature]
[size 2][font "Comic Sans MS"][black]WoW ... 33 fish!![/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I don't think my wrist could take a day of that.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]Nice report you guys.[/black][/font][/size]
[signature]
wow I really need to get out and do some fishing, can't believe I haven't been out this year.

I've been so busy putting in my yard and finishing my basement[reply][/reply]
[signature]
You see it pays to do good !Wow dude you got me exited!Will they still bite that good up there in a couple of weeks? I have a freind that has a canoe and wants to try it up there.Guess that will be my chance to get a workout by canoeing or catching wipers! So producers are the trick!Good i have some i bought from HFT. Guess i will have to get me an assortment now.
[signature]
You never know what tomorrow will bring, some of the guys that went out the day before(Friday), did not do as well. Days like yesterday are few and far between, in most years we are lucky to have one a year but I think this year will be different. We were using three different color types of Producers with white doing the best. If you are thinking about using a canoe you should wait until a calm day, you would have some trouble with winds like we had yesterday. Good luck when you make it up there. WH2
[signature]
Hey thanks for the info.Asof wind i have been there and seen how bad it gets.I am not a swimmer so i will suggest we stay close to shore.I will drive my blazer to the light post if necesary so we dont have to row back to the marina.I think the 2 of us cn carry it over the west dike.I hope! [Tongue]
[signature]
33 fish,woohoo
I noticed alot of you guys are fishing the feed lot,curtis did you try the outlet where you caught all your big fish during the tourney?
I haven't been out since the tourney,Keep posting it's fun to see the pics and hearing the fishing is good.I got to get out there soon[unsure]
Later,FNF[cool]
[signature]
curt glad you guys had a good day was any of our information useful?
[signature]
We actually caught 34, the first one was a walleye the next 33 were wipers. We did not try the outlet yesterday but Ira fished it last week and caught wipers up to 22 inches. When you find the big boys the numbers aren't there so it is a long time between fish. After we talked to Petty4life yesterday and he told us about catching 30 total we just had to do better than that. Thanks Jason for the info on the water depth you were catching the fish in, I tried the lures you mentioned but no luck. We couldn't seem to catch as many walleye as Petty but we were marking them near the bottom. The fish were still hitting when we left yesterday but after we broke our old record of 31 we wanted to leave a goal for next time, that we could beat.
[signature]