Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mack fishing at the gorge
Has anyone heard if the mack fishing has picked up yet at the gorge? I am thinking of going there for the first time this weekend. If anyone can tell me where to fish and what they might be biting any info would help. I also heard the big fish hang out in the shallows this time of year?
[signature]

I have a customer who has been doing well up ther the last couple weeks aprox. 60ft. T50 frog flat fish,chartreuse flame zip fish.frog colored spoons all trolled.clean with dial soap and cover with crawfish attractent.I'm sorry I did not get were the hot spots were.
[signature]
Cable guy, are you fishing from boat or shore? I am no expert, but I have a few locations from boat that I could give you, if you are going to be trolling. But I am a spring gorge fisherman so they may be useless at this time. Just north of lucerne marina you can usually drag stuff along the bottom using steel line or lead core. Flat fish and raps work but a big beefy in line spinner produced well for us last year. Just off king fisher island out in the deeps you can pick up some macks as well, this is usually a good place for suspended macks too. You can be trolling along for kokanees and drop your downrigger a bit and hook up a mack or two if you are quick on the sonar. Up north directly out of anvil boat ramp there is a long point that runs out into the middle of the lake, it drops pretty good from 60 ft to 120. Right on the end of this point is usually a good place to pick up a mack. Just south of the pipeline along the cliff on the west side is another spot. Now, I have a hard time with the vertical jigging for macks. Dont let the pics I posted a few weeks ago fool you. But a few places that I always try and find them but cant catch them is just out side the lucerne marina. There are usually macks hanging on the edges of the points that run out to the main lake. From shore, just out side the lucerne campground is the only place we have caught macks shallow, and they werent very big. Always sucks to drive a long ways on your first trip to a lake and get skunked so I hope this helps. If you need some tips on lures ect let me know.
If your in a boat then head for the far end tip of Linwood Bay. It shalllows up there and jig fishing with white colors can be a real blast. Watch for shelfs and drop off on the finder and they will almost always hold fish. Good Luck.
[signature]
Thanks for all the helpful info guys. I just heard that there is fast fishing for 12 to 20lb macks in the shallows in the early winter. My boat is winterized and I have to use my aluminum. It is'nt well equiped with downriggers, fishfinder and all the other stuff for trolling deep so I hoped there would be some good reports of fast fishing, casting in the shallows. I may have to rethink my plan and go Ice fishing at scofield instead. Anyone hear how thick the ice is? 3 inches or more and I'm there.

Cableguy
[signature]