Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sucker Slayin@ Warm River
After debating for a while I decided to go and put a dent in the sucker population at Warm River. It is amazing how many suckers there are in that pristine river. I rigged up everyone in the group with two small split shot and a small worm hook with a worm and began fishing. Everyone in our party was enjoying catching 16-20 inch suckers that fought like crazy. Even my little sister who is nine caught fish all by herself! Once everyone began to get tired I set up with the same set up and began fishing. I spotted a fairly large fish and made a picture perfect lob right in front of him. I reeled in until I felt the dead wieght of the fish, set the hook and the fight was on. This fish made many pulls that made my spinning reel sing. The fish began to tire after a surprisingly long fight and I hoisted him up onto the bank. it was a very large Sucker about 21 inches long!

By no means am I trying to uplift the sucker, but man they are fun to catch. Everyone in my group caught fish. Technique wise I just casted out a full worm and kept the bail open. After about ten seconds I would close the bail, and reeled in until I felt the wieght of the fish or nothing. Not one sucker swallowed the worm it was just barely inside the vaccum. The fish stayed hooked very well to because of there rubbery mouths. I think that the sucker is a very fun fish to catch, because it is easy to catch and it is a large hard fighting fish. All in all it was a good way to get some free Ice fishing bait, and have a lot of fun while doing it
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the pictures and report. For some reason I don't think many others are going to go up to the warm river to catch suckers after hearing your report.[Wink]
A new state record sucker was caught a couple months ago. I'm guessing the 26" 8 lbs 6.7oz record won't be broken any time soon. When the state recored sucker was closer to 5lbs I felt like I had a chance at catching a state recored fish.[cool]
I'm off to Island Park for the weekend. Good luck to everyone fighting the crowds.
[signature]
yeah if it was only five pounds I would think that I could have had a chance as well. I to will be headin up to Island Park and hopefully do a litttle fishing.
[signature]